Non Tender Deadline

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Non Tender Deadline

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The next significant deadline on the calendar is the non tender deadline on December 2. Do the Cardinals have any candidates? Off the top of my head I would list Gant, Webb, and Ravelo as possibilities.

Thoughts?

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I can’t imagine Webb would be. He was actually pretty good last year. Gant seems like he is well liked by the organization, so I’d think not him either. Ravelo is probably the most likely of that group. Does Sosa have another option year or did we not find that out yet?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Generally, the non-tender date is really only a relevant deadline for arbitration-eligible players. The only one left on the roster is Gant. The other young guys have less service time so the Cards can pay them whatever they want over the MLB minimum. Or they can outright them at any time.

Participant

Free

Why would you even think about non-tendering Webb? He is an LH relief pitcher that was pretty good last year.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Plus, Webb makes close to the minimum salary. He will get more expensive next year at this time so that could be the first major decision point with him. (It is worth noting that Webb has no minor league options, so if he flops during 2020, he would probably get put on outright waivers, which is how the Cards got him in the first place.)

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Sosa has an option year remaining? I thought they used the last one on him this past season.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years