Nolan Gorman, an early (glovework) appraisal

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Nolan Gorman, an early (glovework) appraisal

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Bob Reed
    Participant

Free

I mentioned a couple of times in other threads that Nolan Gorman’s minor league defense graded out well by the only two available evaluation systems. (In retrospect I forgot to also include the ZiPS evaluation model, which might like Gorman most of all, projecting him to be +8 runs per 600 plate appearances in 2022.) But how has the young slugger done in the majors so far?

Well, thanks to the 2022 2nd-base season being split between Tommy Edman and young Mr. Gorman, we have a convenient comparison opportunity. Of course, with the modern annoyance of the shift, any comparisons are somewhat less exact. Still, it is the same pitching staff for both infielders — and probably similar positioning in general for the two fielders, vis a vis any shifting.

I could list a fistful of caveats and disclaimers here. Tommy has just 368 innings at 2nd, and Nolan only 209. So yes, the sample sizes are indeed modest. I’ll draw no sweeping conclusions, I promise.

But with all of that said, here are their respective 2022 numbers, pro-rated to 1,000 innings at the keystone:

Edman: 535 chances, 193 putouts, 337 assists, 5 errors, 79 double plays turned.
    Gorman: 593 chances, 229 putouts, 373 assists, 10 errors, 115 double plays.

I look forward to re-visiting Nolan’s numbers when the sample size is much larger in a month or two. But right now, the kid seems just fine (or maybe a lot better than fine) with the possible exception of errors. And speaking of those: he made his first miscue on May 24th in his 5th MLB game. He made his second on May 28th.

We’re still waiting for his third.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

I’ll agree Gorman has looked better defensively than I expected. He’s going to be limited because he’s not quick. It’s something that gave Wong and Edman that gold glove range is that first step quickness. But with that said he definitely has not been bad at all. His glove work is much smoother than I thought he was going to be though. The only thing standing out me that is concerning so far is making off balance throws when he has time, which obviously increases the likelihood of errant throws, but that is something very fixable.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years