Mozeiliak 7/31 Deadline Deals

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Mozeiliak 7/31 Deadline Deals

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Avatar gscottar 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The tenure of John Mozeiliak seems to be in stark contrast to that of Walt Jocketty who proceeded him as General Manager of the Cardinals. Mo has relied on draft choices and international signings such as Carlos Martinez and Alex Reyes, Jocketty was much more active in the trade market, landing such as Mark McGwire, Woody Williams, Jim Edmonds, Jason Isringhausen and Scott Rolen. The international program was virtually non-existent under Jocketty.

This trend is also evident in the July 31 deadline deals under Mo. Other than the trade of Matt Holliday in 2009 for 3 prospects only two other trade deadline deals have had impact on the Cardinal fortunes. The Holliday deal helped the Cardinals win the Central Division in 2009. Holliday produced a 2.3 WAR the remainder of the season with the Cardinals and 20.8 in the remainder of his career with St. Louis.

In 2012 the Cardinals traded Zach Cox for relief pitcher Edward Mujica who garnered WAR of 1.2 and helped steady the bullpen on the way to a 2nd place division finish and participation in the 2012 National League Championship series. Mujica was the Cardinal closer for most of the 2013 season.

Many credit the deadline deal in 2011 for Marc Rzepczynski, Octavio Dotel and Edwin Jackson as a major factor in the Cardinals reaching and winning the 2011 World Series.

But other than the Holliday deal few if any of the deadline deals since 2008 have contributed much to the Cardinal fortunes. Overall they have acquired 32 players in the 12 years for a collective WAR of 4.8 (2.3 by Holliday) in the season acquired. In contrast their main rivals Chicago and Milwaukee acquired players generating a collective WAR of 8.2 and 14.2.

The lack of meaningful deadline deals in the 2016-2019 period in which the Cardinals have so far been absent from the playoffs is even more telling. St. Louis missed the playoffs by one game in 2016 and 3 games in 2017 and 2018. The collective WAR for players acquired at the deadline had a collective .4 WAR in the season acquired. Zach Duke in 2016 generated .9 of that total. The players acquired in 2019 are no longer with the Cardinals. Meanwhile Chicago has picked up players generating a WAR of 8.4 and Milwaukee 3.0.

The appearance is that the Cardinals are reluctant to take much risk in player transactions.

It is difficult to know what part of the Cardinal approach is Mo’s or DeWitt or the field manager, if involved. The person in charge (DeWitt) usually sets the direction in an organization. So if true, Mo is expected to work within his guidelines. We have gone from an organization that hung on to prospects to one that is now using prospects to go after the Ozunas and Goldschmidts.

Another factor is that other organizations may not value our prospects that much. The Cardinal minor league system has largely been ranked in the top half of major league orgainzations by publications but there is usually a note that the system is ranked that high because of depth rather than elite prospects.

• This topic was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Avatar SoonerinNC.
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Good info Sooner. While I would prefer Jocketty over Mo any day of the week I think you are correct in saying that DeWitt is the real reason that our team building approach has changed over the last 10 years or so. Once DeWitt decided to switch to more of a build from within style it became apparent that Jocketty was going to be out and Mo was going to be in.

I am sure the “toe the company line” folks will have a field day with this one. Go ahead.

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Mo is a good AD.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Athletic Director?

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

GM=AD Same thing Why would you correct something like that?

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

College Football and MLB going on at the same time. Two out of three of my favorite sports…College Baseball is the other one.

Euro Dandy
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

GM=AD Same thing

It is? Was tough to watch manager Muschamp get worked by Mack Brown.

Deadline deals fill in gaps. It’s a fluid time of the year and it takes several stars to align in order to pull off high impact transactions. That is so hard to eval when you don’t know what was turned down. Over a long period, you do see some trends, though.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

GM=AD Same thing Why would you correct something like that?

It happens to me all of the time. People get hung up on semantics instead of just addressing what they know you meant to say. Sorry about that.

I am not a Mozeliak fan but I know that some are. To each his own.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Avatar gscottar.
    GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Saturday was a good baseball day and a bad football day.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Saturday was a good baseball day and a bad football day.

Indeed. Not the best of weekends for the SEC. Alabama, Auburn, and Florida got nice wins but some of the others? Yikes.

Gamecocks lose to N. Carolina.
    Tennessee loses to Georgia St.
    Ole Miss loses to Memphis.
    Mizzou gets ambushed at Wyoming.
    And my Razorbacks squeak past mighty Portland St. I am a season ticket holder and was at that game but it was a snooze fest. I was paying more attention tot he Cards game.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Avatar gscottar.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years