Mound Visits Questions

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Mound Visits Questions

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

What if instead of the catcher going out to the pitchers mound the pitcher came walking into the homeplate area to talk to the catcher. Would that be considered a mound visit?

r/Esteemed Rat

Participant

Free

8.04 When the bases are unoccupied, the pitcher shall deliver the ball to the batter within 20 seconds after he receives the ball. Each time the pitcher delays the game by violating this rule, the umpire shall call “Ball.” The intent of this rule is to avoid unnecessary delays. The umpire shall insist that the catcher return the ball promptly to the pitcher, and that the pitcher take his position on the rubber promptly. Obvious delay by the pitcher should instantly be penalized by the umpire.

My expectation is that there would be a time warning and a ball called.

With a runner on base, it could be a balk under 8.05h

(h) The pitcher unnecessarily delays the game;

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Step back and think about this.

Why would a pitcher and catcher have a conversation at the plate about what to throw when the batter is standing right there? Once announced, the batter has the right to be in the box.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Well, they would cover their conversation with their gloves and step off to the side a little bit and keep their voices down some. It could be done without the batter hearing.

I could see Pugs and socalcardsfan having that type of conversation..:)

r/Esteemed Rat

Participant

Free

Of course electrical aids are not allowed in baseball. Since percussion instruments were innovated a view years ago (trash cans) by the Astros, I am going to advocate for Ear Trumpets.

The pitcher should be able to hoist his shoulder-mounted ear trumpet to his ear, and get coded advice from his catcher.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years