Motte returns to Cardinals

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Motte returns to Cardinals

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Will he and Mujica vie to be Memphis’ closer?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Motte had some crazy stats last year. Good mid 3’s ERA. Excellent 1.18 WHIP. Terrible 5+ Fip. Really bad k and bb rates.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

Lol seriOsly if you are going to do something do something to help the team not more low hanging garbage

UConn Card

Paid - Annual

Not sure what’s the issue with the minor league signings. They don’t take up a spot on the 40-man roster. They are just like what pretty much every minor league signing is – a roll of the dice. Some end up helping the big club, some help their minor league clubs and some are a wash out.

I leave it to the organization to decide whether any of these signings block a prospect from advancing.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Nothing wrong with taking a low risk gamble like this. Plus the organization probably felt that after what Jason did for them in the second half of 2011 and all of 2012, the least they can do is offer him a shot.

I thought he would be a good middle innings guy here (Rockies) last year, but the consistency was lacking.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I wondered if he fails, whether the thought of retiring as a Cardinal is in the back of his mind. Would likely never admit it, even if true.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Good point, Brian.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

No risk. Minor league signing. Last year want even all that bad.

If you are mad about this you should check your bias

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

Agreed with all.

He got the last out of a world series. Teacher at worst, last chance at best. Let the guy play.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Future Cardinal bullpen coach?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

In his prime Motte would regularly have velocity between 98-100. Now he is a one pitch pitcher at 93. He might provide some depth during the season. It is a worth a shot, low risk. I have no problem with it.

We have brought back Mujica and Motte. I hope we aren’t thinking about Jason Isringhausen and Ryan Franklin. That fruit would be a little too ripe. lol

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Statistics are funny. People are funnier. If I had proposed that we sign a healthy pitcher who pitched in 46 games last year with a 3.54 ERA and a 1.18 WHIP to a minor league contract, I am nearly certain almost everyone here would have thought that would be a great signing.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

I mean if you’re just going to blindly support something without looking up the stats then yeah. But I know must of us also look at the full stats and his peripherals are horrible.

14NyquisT
    Participant

All I can say about this is…What if….

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Interesting. Motte has an out. I doubt it will get exercised though.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.