Mo's Tenure-Best and Worse Deals

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Mo's Tenure-Best and Worse Deals

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

As a follow up of my earlier post on Transactions in John Mozaliak’s tenure as Cardinal GM this post will delve into individual deals as well as outlining my speculations and opinion. As a reminder, data is from Mo’s appointment as Acting GM in October 07 to the 2019 all-star break.

Best and worse deals will be covered here. A third segment will highlight top prospect transactions, trading deadline transactions and overall quality of the transactions will be highlighted. In most cases I will include post transaction WAR in parenthesis.

Best Deals
    Matt Holiday (23.2) for Mortensen (0), Shane Peterson (.8) and Wallace (-.6)
    David Freese (17.0) for Jim Edmonds (.1). The 17.0 for Freese is total post trade WAR. 6.0 if with STL.
    Jason Hayword (13.1) for Tyrell Jenkins (-.3) and Shelby Miller (-1.1)
    Jedd Gyorko (8.7) for Jon Jay (2.7)

The 2011 deadline deal of Rzepczynski, Dotel, Jackson, and Corey Patterson for Rasmus, Trevor Miller, Tallet and PJ Walters is considered by some as beneficial to the Cardinals run to the 2011 World Series Championship. The trade off in WAR is .1 for the Cardinals vs 11.5 (all Rasmus) for the players traded away but the trade did a lot to shore up the Cardinal pitching staff. The Cardinals have not regretted giving up Rasmus.

Worse Deals
    Scott Rolen (14.9) for Troy Glaus (4.2)
    Kyle Barraclough (1.9) for Steve Cisek (-.1 w/STL). Then Cishek (6.7) has had moderate success elsewhere.
    Luke Gregerson (7.0) and Mark Worrell (-.8) for Khalil Green (-.5)

A number of trades such as involving Ozuna, Goldschmidt, Tyler O’Neill, and Leake and Marco Gonzalez are too early to call.

Best Free Agents
    Rich Hill (11.0)was the highest free agent the Cardinals acquired. However, he signed a minor league contract with a deadline for joining the parent Cardinals. The Cardinals declined and he went on to the Red Sox, Athletics and finally to the Dodgers where he has excelled.

Other top Free Agents:
    Kyle Lohse (9.7)
    Pat Neshek (6.7) Cardinals let him go after a strong year as setup and he is still performing well.
    Jhonny Peralta (7.4)
    Carlos Beltran – Two years with the Cardinals (6.1)
    Lance Berkman – Key in 2011 WS win. Two years (4.3)
    Of course the jury is out on Ozuna (4.5) and Goldschmidt (1.1) at all-star break, now (2.2).

Free Agents Lost
    David Peralta (13.6) Released as pitcher, converted to hitter by Diamondbacks.
    Albert Pujols (13.4) Good for Cardinals because he has not performed up to his price with the Angels.
    Jason Heyward (6.5)
    Steve Cisek (6.7)
    Adam Ottavino (10.9) was lost on waivers.

Under Performing Free Agents

Dexter Fowler (1.7)
    Jonathan Broxton (.1)
    Brett Cecil (-.5)
    Luke Gregerson (-.5)
    Greg Holland (-1.5)
    Mike Leake (1.2)

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Kyle Barraclough was recently released by the Nats. He was picked up from the Marlins. I would not call his deal for Cishek as a ‘worse deal.’

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Another way to look at it is if Barraclough is among the worst, they aren’t very bad.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That is great information Sooner.

At first glance we can say that we have had some mixed success with trades but free agency under Mo has been a disaster.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

No Berkman signing, no World Series in 2011.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Actually I tagged the Cisek deal mostly because he didn’t do well for the Cardinals and then went on to have some pretty productive seasons with other teams. And Barraclaugh did have some good years with Miami. Would he have ever made the Cardinals. Hard to tell. Maybe a reach here on my part.

One thing in Mo’s defense, the strong pitching in the minors until recently probably had much to do with them dumping veterans. Roster restrictions and danger of losing the good young arms if not added to the 40 man roster.

Will post the trading deadline and prospect trading segment later this week.

PadsFS
    Participant

The Tommy Pham trade has the potential to be the worst as does the Voit and Mercado deals. Grichuk could also explode one year.

The best deal of all is the Lackey for Craig trade though.

I don’t see why the post-Cardinals Heyward WAR would count for us. We got Dakota Hudson for him too.

Likewise, we got Dylan Carlson for John Lackey making the Craig trade look even better for the Cardinals.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Having to do with nothing, but reminded of it when I saw Grichuk’s name, last night while dialing around waiting for the Cards game to start, I watched Grichuk take Lance Lynn deep.

Grichuk already has almost five years in MLB and his first year was his best. He has been slightly above or below MLB average since.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

No Berkman signing, no World Series in 2011.

I agree with that but I would say in the last five years or so free agency hasn’t been kind to us.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Freese, Holliday, Berkman, Beltran, and Lohse (thanks to Papa Dunc), as SoonerinNC stated above, were all good free agent signings. None of them happened recently. (I don’t count Peralta because he crapped out on his contract after a couple of years.) Looking at free agent signings, there were six good ones listed by Soonerin NC and six bad ones. I guess you could say that Mo is overdue for a good free agent signing.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

It has no doubt been mentioned somewhere, but I don’t recall: What is Cecil’s actual status now and where is he. He’s still on the DL I assume, but with what ailment? What prognosis? Any word on his return (never I hope)?

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Cecil status:
    – 60 day IL
    – Will collect another $7MM in 2020 before he is free to negotiate and extend his time as a Cardinal or offer his services to other teams
    – He is out indefinitely. I read he is working out and throwing in Jupiter. Mo said he would accept his return next year. Why not, he’s paying him $7MM for the privilege?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

For future reference, we also have an injury update section in the St. Louis Cardinals MLB Notebook, a free article posted here each Monday morning, 52 weeks a year. Cecil is included there.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree about Tommy Pham, Mercado, and Voit. Last years deadline deals. May turn out to be very bad trades. Hard to tell now because so many of the players we got have so much career ahead of them. To date only Gallegos paying off at the major league level.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Freese and Holliday were originally acquired through trades, not free agency.

I know Holliday resigned with us during that next offseason though.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The best deal heading is for trades. You are right they were both acquired in trades.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.