Mo’s Retreads

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Mo’s Retreads

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Has there ever been a general manager who has a poorer record than Mo at finding pitching help? His current list of retreads (Wittgren, VerHagen, Naughton and Brooks) have a combined ERA of 6.06 and ERA+ ranging from 53-79. Further that quartette plus McFarland have really hurt us a crucial times. Add Matz and McFarland (savior in 2021) to the mix and you have an ERA of 6.61 and ERA+ of 65 for Matz (8.5 million and 35.5 over the next 3 years) and 53 for McFarland.

Admittedly 2021 was a better year for Mo with Happ, Lester, McFarland and Garcia.

San Francisco continually threw Brebbia 139 ERA+ and Leone 172 ERA+ at us in 2022. Meanwhile Pittsburgh have free agent pick up Quintana 124 ERA+, Tampa Bay picked up Adam 244 ERA+ and Milwaukee picked up Milner 181 ERA+ all for 2 Million or less. Those are just a few examples of better choices that have been available.

And who can forget the quartette of Adam Miller, Luke Gregerson, Brett Cecil and Gregg Holland who were signed in spite of coming off bad years near the end of careers and somehow Mo expected them to rise again.

And wouldn’t Alcantra and Gallen look great in our rotation now. Both traded for Ozuna who was barely adequate on offense and less so on defense.

Could Woodford, Libatore, Rondon, Whitley and Thompson do any worse than the quintette of McFarland, Wittgren, Naughton, Brooks and Verhagen.

You can blame Marmol if you wish but what is a manager to do when the General Manager sends you a player. You have to at least give them a chance. Wonder if Ollie has promised the medical people his oldest child (if he has one) to place some of them on the IL.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

You can blame Marmol if you wish but what is a manager to do when the General Manager sends you a player.

Great overall post Sooner. I have been preaching this for weeks. There seems to be some confusion on who sets the roster. Hint: it isn’t the manager.

bccran
    Participant

Don’t know if there has ever been a worse manager in that area until the moves of all other GMs in that area are analyzed in a similar manner.

14NyquisT
    Participant

If you read this it will give you something to ponder while waiting for the game this evening.

https://www.aol.com/sports/cardinals-never-going-bad-again-172453017.html

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The overall performance of this team is pretty much the same it has been since the end of 2011. Rookie manager with no experience, hover around first place and close to a playoff spot, hope to get hot at the right time, mostly build from within with a few low hanging fruit acquisitions.

Rinse and repeat for the last 10 years. The common denominator is that the front office controls the manager and dictates most of what is going on. I am really baffled by the condemnations of Marmol. We seem to be performing the same as we did with his two predecessors yet I don’t recall such harsh words for them at such early stages.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Shildt got a lot more heat than Ollie has. I think some seriously objected to him because he had no professional baseball experience.

I think our amateur scouting has been overall good. But our scouting of other major league systems seems to be pretty weak and pretty wrong most of the time.

I am a little concerned about Ollie’s two inning use of our closer. Over 30 pitches last night so I suspect he is not available for tonight.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

And wouldn’t Alcantra and Gallen look great in our rotation now. Both traded for Ozuna who was barely adequate on offense and less so on defense.

I’ll agree with most of your post on this past off season pick ups. I wanted Knebel and McHugh. Knebel has had control issues for Philly, but looked good tonight. McHugh has been pretty darn good in the Atlanta pen. I didn’t like what they did with the pitching staff at all for this season and its shown.
    When it comes to the Ozuna trade they needed a bat desperately. You can only assume when they talked Yelich Miami wanted prospects the Cardinals wouldn’t talk (probably Flaherty, Hicks, Carlson), so they talked Ozuna instead. The return for Yelich included much more highly touted guys at the time and looking back now the return for Ozuna was much better. I didn’t hate the trade at the time. I didn’t like giving up Gallen, but you have to give to get, and I preferred giving up Gallen to Weaver, Flaherty, or Hicks. I thought Sierra was nothing and he’s proven to be nothing. Castano was low level and didn’t look like much and hasn’t developed into a whole lot, but on the roster. Alcantara is the total wiff and I didn’t see it either. I think the Cardinals saw what I saw and that he was a thrower, not a pitcher, no control, and probably a middle reliever because of it. Good for Alcantara and Miami in developing. And really turning that trade in their favor. You don’t win them all. But the real issue is purposely passing and not spending the cash on proven needed relievers and signing Japan cast offs and guys who’ve consistently struggled hoping all the stars align and lightning is caught in a bottle and it works out.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.