Molina Retiring After 2020

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Molina Retiring After 2020

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Article is out that reports Molina is planning on retiring once his contract expires after the 2020 season. Anybody got any info here?

r/Rat

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yes, I suggest you read my Monday Winter Warm-Up article on the front page. The Molina section is last as he was the last to speak to us today.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Two years too late.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

that’s pretty terrible Nyq… he has been impressive for many years… he is a VERY good if not HOF level player who has been important in getting TWO WS rings for the Cardinals..

he improved his hitting dramatically from what people had forecasted for him…he has been a workhorse and pretty injury free for the most part and done nothign but good things for the team

also..it’s not like he has gotten worse… he had a relatively down year two years ago but then followed it up with an amazing year last year both offensively and defensively..

he is a MLB HOFer IMO and a Cardinals HOFer…and we are lucky to have been able to watch him play at the beginning and the last two years as well

there is no other way to read your remarks other than as straight up biased hate…makes me sick

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Please step back from the criticism of each other. Disagreement is expected, but let’s not make it personal. Thanks.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

I dont begrudge yadi his contract. Imo he earned it.

I do think kelly should be our starter as early as this year.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Now that Yadi has made his decision, I bet he will be more of a mentor to Kelly.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

At WWU, Molina was asked a question about Reyes and Kelly and never mentioned the latter. Maybe just an oversight, but I was not the only one who noticed.

NJ315
    Participant

Molina is being a diva. Quite disappointing.

shakenbake McBride
    Participant

Free

If there is a Mt. Rushmore for Cardinals, Molina deserves to be on it.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

agree Shake..

hmmm…what would my Mt Rushmore for the Cardinals be?

Hornsby, Musial, Gibson, Molina

hmmm…4 is really hard…Dean, Enos, Pujols, Ozzie, Red, Brock…. all would have cases IMO

tough as my tendency is to go with guys that changed the game… Ozzie, and Yadi changed and are the models of the modern day positions of SS and catcher IMO… Gibson got the mound lowered…Musials greatness, HOrnsby’s amazing feats…

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t give much credence to predictions three years out. Who knows what will happen between now and then? He may feel different about it at that time.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Molina has been a great Cardinal, and still is contributing in a positive way. Kelly did not show much with the bat last year, and may still be a year away. But not getting much of a chance makes it tough to know what he could do with regular playing time.

Gotta disagree with Jags on the comments of Ozzie and Molina changing the game and being models of the modern player at their positions. Ozzie is really more of the pro-typical shortstop of the ’60s and ’70s. The top shortstops in that era were primarily defensive gems, and any offense you got was a bonus (Harrelson, Maxvill, Belanger, Concepcion (who hit better as he matured), Kessinger, etc). The game-changer was Cal Ripken, and today we have many examples of bigger shortstops who field well, and hit with power.

Catchers like Yadi have been around forever. The gold standard is Johnny Bench, with great offense and Molina-like defense. In fact Molina may not top Ted Simmons in WAR once his career is done, so it is debatable if he is even the best catcher in Cardinal history. Some of Ted’s numbers were with other teams, but as I said once Yadi’s career has played out it will be debatable who was better.

Still Ozzie and Yadi have been great in their own right. But calling them the standard for how their position is played today is over-reaching.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.