Mlb updated top 100/team top 30

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Mlb updated top 100/team top 30

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Is out, top 100

17 Reyes
    36 Kelly
    53 Flaherty
    65 Weaver

Top 30 recognizes a lot of movement. Arozarena, Oscar M., Gallen, Hicks all with big jumps. Hesley still lower than thought of on this board.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Weird that O’Neill went from 29 to 75 right after the trade and then out of the top 100 a few days later.

Also, I believe that’s down a few spots for Kelly?

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by stlcard25stlcard25.
    Participant

Free

Hudson has a major beef.

Kelly is too low.

Bader has a major beef.

… And if those guys are way too low what’s that say about the rest?

O’Neill was 21 at aaa for most of the year and still has an .800 ops despite struggles. Outside the top 50 is a joke much less top 100.

Participant

Interesting that Flaherty has passed Weaver.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

IF MLB has a chat, someone should ask them about O’Neill. Their actions make no sense. It is as if they wanted to rank him high because he was in Seattle’s system, but as soon as he became a Cardinal, he no longer stacked up. He is the same player, no matter what uniform he wears!

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s very strange. Same thing with Harrison Bader vs Clint Frazier. Very similar stats across the board (Bader with better contact and fewer walks) and both considered tweener OF but Frazier ranks 27th and Bader misses the top 100 entirely. I guess in the end, the prospect lists aren’t the end of the matter but it’s not very consistent.

Participant

Free

Twitter is blocked at my work, but Jim Callis responded to my tweet about O’Neill.

He said “O’Neill just missed #top100prospects, we were a little disappointed in triple-A performance, though he has heated up recently.”

Participant

Free

He added, “That said RE: O’Neill, I’d prefer him to Gonzales in the trade.”

Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I am crediting this directly to PadsFS’ lobbying. Great work, sir!

Participant

Free

Do you folks think that the prospect ranking lists impact at all a players value in a trade?

Participant

Paid - Annual

O’Neill hit a two run homer to tie the game tonight against Salt Lake. Redbirds win 3-2 for their 6th straight.

Participant

Free

Short version? Yes.

Long version? Depends on situations and inherent biases. It is an easy shorthand to double check your work as scouts and gms because no one person can know every prospect and they’d be fools to disregard resources.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I’ve wondered about that myself. I’m guessing that some front office personnel look at rankings, but most don’t. I think they rely almost entirely on their scouts, and on all of the historical data that is available, and finally, on their own eyes and their own senses. If the front office personnel for the Mariners thought O’Neill was as good as the pundits had him ranked, they would not have traded him even up for Marco Gonzales.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I think front offices may use the lists as a starting point but if they are really interested in a someone, they will send their own resources to check them out.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Mud, I tend to agree with you. The only comment I would add is that MLB ready and controllable pitching is hard to get right now.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Their new 2018 national top 100 list is coming January 27.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Also, Jim Callis says the 2018 team top 30s will not start rolling out until the second half of February – or after pitchers and catchers report. Too late, IMO.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

MLB is apparently building up to their overall lists by releasing position-based lists first. At catcher, Kelly (defense) is second behind Cleveland’s Francisco Mejia (hitting) with a Dodgers 19 year old called perhaps the best all-around catching prospect despite ranking third.

https://www.mlb.com/news/francisco-mejia-leads-top-catching-prospects/c-264787268

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

MLB Pipeline’s new national top 100 will be announced at 7 PM CT tonight on MLB Network.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

18. Reyes
    38. Flaherty
    46. Kelly
    94. O’Neill

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Quick graphical view of the top 100 totals by team.

https://twitter.com/darenw/status/957450616112115712

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

MLB Pipeline’s new top 10 Cards (much more on their site):

Reyes
    Flaherty
    Kelly
    O’Neill
    Bader
    Hudson
    Hicks
    Helsley
    Knizner
    Schrock

https://www.mlb.com/news/cardinals-2018-top-30-prospects-led-by-reyes/c-266879032?tid=151437456

Participant

Paid - Monthly

They give 16 of the prospects an ETA of 2018 and another 7 2019. Roster space anyone?

Also of note, they give Reyes a 75 rating on his fastball. Very rare.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I guess they don’t apply a reasonability check to that 16 number. Last year’s count – during a significant turnover period – was 11. And that 11 was everyone – prospects (DeJong, etc.) and not (Brebbia, etc.)

To make it worse, Pipeline continues to be the only major site I am aware of to exclude Adolis Garcia for his Cubanness. He would be 17!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years