MLB rumors: Cubs trading Kris Bryant to rival Cardinals?

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum MLB rumors: Cubs trading Kris Bryant to rival Cardinals?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Boyer14
    Participant

Free

“If the Chicago Cubs actually move Kris Bryant, teams like the Phillies, Braves, Nationals and Yankees are sure to be involved in the bidding.

“One that you’d probably exclude from a potential list of Bryant landing spots: Chicago’s hated rival, the St. Louis Cardinals.

“Yet that didn’t stop plugged-in MLB insider Mark Feinsand from doing just that in a column about teams that could fit for a Bryant blockbuster.

“Admittedly, a mega-deal between the rival Cubs and Cardinals is extremely unlikely, but St. Louis remains in the hunt for an impact bat and third base seems like a natural spot. The Cardinals, after all, have been among the rumored suitors for Nolan Arenado. St. Louis could include third base prospect Nolan Gorman (No. 47 on Pipeline’s Top 100) in a deal, along with one or two of its top pitching prospects, including newly acquired lefty Matthew Liberatore (No. 58 overall, per Pipeline). One would assume the Cardinals would have to overpay to pry the 2016 NL MVP away from their rivals, but in terms of “trade fits,” this one makes a lot of sense.”

https://www.nj.com/sports/2020/02/mlb-rumors-cubs-trading-kris-bryant-to-rival-cardinals.html

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

No way they give up Gorman and Liberatore for Bryant…

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Here we are in the slowest news time of the year – when writers really have to stretch to come up with story ideas. This trade only “fits” in the writer’s cranium. For the headline to call this a “rumor” is a joke, or more accurately, click bait at its best.

In this case, we have an article about someone else’s article!

atripleshyofthecycle
    Participant

Free

Bryant is the same age as Arenado and not nearly as good of a player. If we are going to give up that package, or anything near it, go get Arenado.

Then again, this is the front office that has Cubs-envy enough that they made a huge mistake with Fowler, so you never know.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

atriple, you actually believe the Cards signed Fowler because of “Cubs envy”? Really? I have to admit that is a first, at least for me…

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The writer of that article is either lazy or totally misinformed. He lists the Cardinals as a potential trade partner for Bryant even though the last major trade between the two teams was Leon Durham for Bruce Sutter back in 1980. Does this guy even follow baseball?

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’d put the chances of the Cards trading for Bryant about the same as the Cards having a snowball fight during training camp. I suppose anything is possible but it’s extremely unlikely. I’d say it’s unlikely that Mo and Theo would even discuss it.

atripleshyofthecycle
    Participant

Free

atriple, you actually believe the Cards signed Fowler because of “Cubs envy”? Really? I have to admit that is a first, at least for me…

That’s not a good summary of what I said. It wasn’t why, but their complete misevaluation on Fowler has to be explained somehow – unless we go with brazen stupidity in looking just looking at one year of data and making a conclusion.

It was also a joke. I think they panicked with the Fowler signing, just as they panicked with the Heyward trade a year before. The Heyward trade wasn’t great on its face, but at least the one year we had him for he went bananas and put up his best season as a pro (and then fell off a cliff after the Cubs signed him due to Cardinals envy 😉 ).

My main point was that if we are going to pay a heavy price, let’s pay for Arenado.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

`The Heyward trade wasn’t great on its face, but at least the one year we had him for he went bananas and put up his best season as a pro (and then fell off a cliff after the Cubs signed him due to Cardinals envy 😉 )

I think it was a great deal. We got a great year in RF, forced the Cubs to sign him for way more than his value (as you mentioned) and got Dakota Hudson in the deal. All of that for Shelby Miller, who was mostly bad the rest of his career.

The only thing I regret is that I wish they had never had to make it.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Of course we should not forget that, comparatively speaking, Heyward’s contract is much worse than Fowler’s both in annual salary and length. Ideally, the Cardinals would have avoided both. They lucked out missing on signing Heyward (as they did with Price and Pujols), but not Fowler. As hinted upon, the passing of Oscar Taveras left the Cards in a bind.

atripleshyofthecycle
    Participant

Free

What I meant by not great on its face is that the value the Braves got for him in trade was far greater than the value they gave up to get him (plus other pieces of value). Oddly, it seems, that almost every piece of both deals has turned to crap.

So, yeah, in hindsight, the net result is Hudson – not dismiss Heyward’s great season.

atripleshyofthecycle
    Participant

Free

Yeah, Brian, that Taveras thing really hit the Cardinals hard in a lasting way. Not to downplay the human tragedy of it all, but I’ve said in the past that particular event had a pretty massive effect on the Cardinals organization that ripples to this day.

1982 willie
    Participant

this would be a horrible thing to do.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

The only way they’ll trade Bryant this season is if they get blown away by an offer before spring training or the cubs just implode and they deal him right before the deadline to Atlanta.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.