MLB Network – 1968 World Series

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum MLB Network – 1968 World Series

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Anybody watch Games 6 & 7 from the 1968 World Series last night on the MLB Network? It was sort of a tribute to Al Kaline with regards to his passing.

I don’t know about the rest of you but it was difficult for me to watch. I remember those games and listening to them on the radio when I was in 4th grade. Anyway, I kept switching back and forth late last night from the games and Married With Children. Al Bundy sort of has all the answers. I bet our Esteemed Pugs has a lot of Al Bundy in him..:)

r/Esteemed Rat

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Bob Gibson’s ERA of 1.12 in 1968 is still one of the most remarkable things in baseball history.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

And he had 28 complete games…another remarkable feat.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Speaking of Pugs, has he been hibernating?

1968 was the year I really began watching baseball. Gibby’s 13 shutouts seems next to impossible — still the most since the dead-ball era. Plus, he had an additional 3 complete games and another shutout in the World Series.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bob Gibson’s ERA of 1.12 in 1968 is still one of the most remarkable things in baseball history.

At the risk of sounding blasphemous on a Cards forum, I’ll take the 2000 version of Pedro Martinez as the most incredible pitching season ever (with his 1999 only a very slight distance behind). At the height of the steroid era, his ERA+ was an insane 291 (vs 258 for Gibson’s incredible 1968). He gave up less than 3/4 of a hit/walk per inning and struck out almost 9 times as many as he walked.

That said, 1.12 is a crazy number and Gibson deserves a huge amount of credit for being that great.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

At the risk of sounding blasphemous on a Cards forum, I’ll take the 2000 version of Pedro Martinez

Yeah pal, walk carefully and check your six often.

Boyer14
    Participant

Free

It was not even close.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Yeah, watching that ‘85 play live on TV back then, just after the play in that split second I said “Whew, got him by a half-step”. Then when Denkinger said “Safe”, I couldn’t believe it! I’ve had seen umps get closer plays than that correct.

Games 6 and 7 ‘68 are indeed painful. That dynasty that looked to be accelerating came crashing down. It started a decline in the club’s fortunes that lasted until 1981, with a couple of small upticks in descent.

Then came the roller-coaster ‘80s – good one year, not so much the next, then good again, then back down.

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I have been watching the 2011 WS on Fox Midwest. Great games and memory jogger. That team went on a fantastic run to make the playoffs, win the NL and win the WS. The playoff series against the Phillies was great as well. I forgot how many moves the Front Office made to pull that club together by August.

I would love FSMW to show some of the other WS while there is no live baseball.

Boyer14
    Participant

Free

It was painful!!!!!!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 25 years