MLB Icons Lost

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum MLB Icons Lost

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Anybody watch the show on the MLB Network about Icons Lost last night? It was about the passing of Tom Seaver, Whitey Ford, Al Kaline, Joe Morgan, Lou Brock, and Bob Gibson. I thought it was very well done.

Johnny Bench told a very good Lou Brock story. He said he usually couldnt wait until St. Louis come to town because he wanted to go against Brock. And how one game Brock was leaning off 2ndbase so he flashed the sign to Tommy Helms. The pitch is a high outside fastball and he comes up firing a dart to Helms at 2ndbase and the next thing he knew Brock was standing on 3rd..:)

r/Esteemed Rat

Participant

Paid - Annual

Talk about a throwback. In 1979 this guy had a W-L record of 21-20 with 342 IP. We will never see numbers like that again from a starting pitcher.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Another dubious record set in 2020, most Hall of Famers lost in one year as Phil Niekro becomes number 7.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I thought I read where Don Sutton pitched over 200 innings in 20 of his first 21 seasons. And the only year he didnt was the strike year of 1981.

I find that to be mind boggling.

r/Esteemed Rat

Participant

Paid - Annual

One year in the mid 70s Nolan Ryan pitched 330+ innings of Nolan Ryan fastballs. Gibby surpassed 300 a couple times with his super max effort delivery. Bunch of beany babies out there these days. And stay off my lawn.

Participant

Paid - Annual

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

What an awful start to the year. RIP, Hammerin’ Hank.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

12.3 miles of 90′ bases, ahead of the next closest in career total bases.

It takes 12 minutes, to drive 12 miles, doing 60mph!

mind boggling statistical accomplishment

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

So sad. A pros pro and a man above reproach.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

man…Hank? ugh

Is it just me or have we lost a disproportionate amount of greats in the last year? I know the Cardinals have been in particular hit hard…but in general it seems far more than normal

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

For me, it really is driven home when guys I watched play are passing away – not ones from the past I saw on film.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Sorry for the length, but here’s an Aaron story of mine. Growing up in NC, the Braves were the favorite team for most people, but the 68 Cards made the Braves my second fave. Dad took me to a few games and Aaron was a hero to me, not to mention he hit 715 on my birthday. I’ll never forget in 1971 when I was 12, Aaron hit 599 on a Sunday. Their next game was Tuesday against SFG. Dad said we would go to the game on Wednesday (couldn’t get off work in time for Tuesday). I was so excited we might see 600 live, plus see the great Willie Mays to boot.

As we watched the news Tuesday night, it was such a bummer to hear that Aaron hit 600 that night. Oh well, we were still going to see Aaron and Mays play in person. Mays was deep into his career then, and with my luck, SFG decided to rest him for the game. But wait, I got lucky anyway when Mays came on deck to pinch hit late in the game. But wait again, there were two outs and the inning ended with Mays standing in the on deck circle. He never entered the game. The Braves also lost, so nothing went the way I wanted, but what a memorable thing Dad did for me. Also got to see Willie McCovey play, plus homeruns by Bobby Bonds and George Foster.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Good/bad story, Euro!

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Man, losing Hammerin’ Hank is a tough one. The Braves have gotten a double whammy similar to us, losing Phil Niekro and Hank Aaron within a few weeks.

My main personal memory of Hank is not even from a baseball game. He was the Marshal of the 1975 Rose Parade. I was living in SoCal then, and me and a buddy went to the parade. As Hank’s car approached us we were yelling real loud above the crowd noise, and waving out arms going “Hi Hank! Hi Hank!”. He heard us as we were being pretty rowdy, and looked right at us and waved back.

A buddy of mine told me a story similar to Euro’s about Willie Mays. They were at a Braves/Dodgers game in Dodger Stadium, but as luck would have it Hank was out of the lineup that night. But it got to the ninth inning and there were two outs. Johnny Oates was the batter, and Hank comes out on deck as a possible pinch hitter. Sure enough, Oates gets a hit! So Hank got to bat, but I believe he made the last out.

Still my buddy and his pals sent Oates a note thanking him for getting a hit so they could see Hank hit. 🙂

Participant

Paid - Annual

If anyone has only heard Vin Scully’s call of 715 check you tube and listen to Milo Hamilton’s.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Holy Toledo, bling. Interesting that he didn’t use that phrase in the 715 call. I listened to many Braves games in the late 60s-early 70s. Ernie Johnson Sr and Hamilton were fixtures in the lives of their fans. I remember many broadcasts on the precursor stations that evolved into TBS as a superstation.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Sorry for the length, but here’s an Aaron story of mine.

Interesting story Euro. Thanks for sharing. I didn’t realize George Foster started with the Giants. I assumed it was the Reds.

Man, losing Hammerin’ Hank is a tough one. The Braves have gotten a double whammy similar to us, losing Phil Niekro and Hank Aaron within a few weeks.

And Don Sutton. He was a Braves broadcaster for a long time.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years