MLB – Facebook Games

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum MLB – Facebook Games

This topic contains 23 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Avatar 858booyah 4 months ago.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

So I initially liked the idea because I thought MLB would show the games on tv and facebook. But now I’m starting to hate the idea. I’m in my 30s and have deactivated my Facebook account a few months ago with no plan of reactivating. Now I wont get to watch the Cardinals for the second time because MLB pulled the game from FSM. I guess MLB doesn’t care about ratings.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

To be clear, the reference is to the April 11 Cardinals game vs. Milwaukee.

Here is the original announcement of the program.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-09/facebook-says-play-ball-in-exclusive-deal-to-stream-25-mlb-games

As MLB is receiving $30-$35 MM from Facebook, they probably are not too concerned about ratings for a Wednesday afternoon game. Just a guess.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

BHC, looks like you changed your mind about watching this game.

The next Cards game on Facebook will be Wednesday, May 30, also against Milwaukee.

What did people think about today’s telecast? I was using my Android phone casting to my Roku TV and it worked just fine. No quality or buffering issues. Only irritation was that I could not figure out how to shut off closed captioning.

Having said that, I would still prefer not to have to use this approach.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

The problem is I don’t have a FB account. I had to use my wife’s account. The feed absolutely sucked on my Chromebook. I finally gave up in the 9th and moved to my android which had a couple of issues but nothing major.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The feed was fine for me, but I was also annoyed by the closed captioning. It was bad even by the low standards we’ve come to expect for CC’ing over the years.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Did people have to log in to Facebook to view the game? I think I must have already been logged in so I did not notice.

I agree with you, 25. The CC was less than worthless.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I watched through the app so I was already logged in. I think it was possible to watch on the browser but I dunno if you could without signing in.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I watched through the app so I was already logged in. I think it was possible to watch on the browser but I dunno if you could without signing in.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

You didn’t technically to sign in but FB would keep prompting you to sign in.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

4.4 million views of today’s game. How’s about them ratings?

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

I thought it sucked. I watched for about a 1/2 inning and turned it off. Couldn’t figure out how to shut off all of the bs floating across the screen. I’m sure I just overlooked it but I’m probably not interested in trying again. I like the AtBat app on my phone. Works great so I’m not completely tech deficient, lol.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Texas…you had to swipe right on the comments to get rid of them, at least on mobile. It wasn’t too bad otherwise.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

I have PS Vue for a “cable provider” and watching on MLB Network, Big Ten Network, TBS the frame rate can get a little off sometimes, but usually is good. For events on ESPN I have downloaded the Watch ESPN app and the HD and frame rate are very good, compared to watching through the PS Vue app where ESPN is usually bad. I watch the Cardinals through the Fox Sports Go app and the HD and frame rate are very good, but sometimes have a little issue with Fox Sports reliability. I know its Fox itself because I’ve tested it though my computer and through a internet connection provided though work against mine at home and all have had problems at the same time.
    I downloaded the Facebook app for the fire TV today and watched though there. The quality was pretty good, but my frame rate was not 60 FPS. Most of the time things were choppy looking. Not enough to make it unwatchable, but enough to notice. Presentation side I wasn’t a fan, although no commercials was nice. And 100% the absolute best thing about it was not having to listen to Tim McCarver.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by Avatar Cards667.
    TexasCard
    Participant

Free

Thanks 25 I tried that but I admit maybe I didnt swipe in the right spot on the screen or something. Anyway thanks and maybe just maybe I’ll try again.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Swiping right! Sounds like tinder more than Facebook.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Next Facebook game is coming Wednesday afternoon – Alex Reyes’ potential first start.

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Does this mean the Wednesday afternoon game will NOT be on FSMW?

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

That is precisely what it means. Otherwise, no one would care.

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Lets hope that Reyes pitches on Tuesday night then. I’ll have to give Matheny a call to ensure.

r/Rat

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This appears to be good news for 2019.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

So, this year MLB signed an exclusive deal with YouTube instead!

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

A second Cardinals YouTube game is September 25 at Arizona.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well, on the positive side YouTube never seems to have the issues that I get with the MLB app on my TV like the stream quality going up and down by the minute and occasionally losing the stream entirely. So that won’t be bad.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Bye bye perfect game and no no.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years