Minor league thread – Wed 7/17

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Minor league thread – Wed 7/17

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Memphis at Round Rock, 7:05 pm CT, Mike Hauschild (0-2, 8.22)
    Springfield at Amarillo, 7:05 pm CT, Johan Oviedo (2-4, 6.03)
    Palm Beach vs. Florida, 6:30 pm ET, Perry DellaValle (5-4, 3.00)
    Peoria at Fort Wayne, 6:05 pm CT, Kyle Leahy (4-7, 2.91)
    State College at West Virginia, 6:35 pm ET, Jeremy Randolph (0-2, 4.15)
    Johnson City vs. Bristol, 6:30 pm ET, Jose Moreno (1-3, 10.98)
    GCL Cards at Astros, 12:00 pm ET, Francis Ventura (0-0, 4.50)
    DSL Blue at Yankees, 10:30 am ET, Gustavo J Rodriguez (3-0, 1.45)
    DSL Red vs. Mets2, 10:30 am ET, Yonael Dominguez (1-0, 4.96) or Angel Cuenca (3-1, 1.25)

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Carlson has two home runs tonight, with his total of 16 first in the Texas League.

Participant

Free

Favorite oddball Carlson stat:
    This year he’s batting .290 and slugging .500 when behind in the count. It’s only 124 at-bats, and I have zero idea whether or not this has any predictive value whatsoever. But I love it anyway.

For a little context, here are some other highly rated outfield prospects and their 2019 behind-in-the-count batting averages/slugging percentages:

Drew Waters .245 and .340
    Jo Adell .200 and .343
    Cristian Pache .220 and .390
    Alex Kirillof .151 and .221
    Taylor Trammell .160 and .213
    Jarred Kelenic .186 and .309
    Jesus Sanchez .214 and .262

All of this might mean nothing. Last year Fernando Tatis Jr. in AA hit .176 and slugged .272, but this year you certainly can’t say that major league pitchers are exploiting the kid, can you?

Dylan Carlson has been generally credited with having a “mature, professional approach” at the plate, so maybe his extraordinary numbers reflect that to some degree. Or maybe it’s all noise, no signal.

But it’s still fun.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Thanks for sharing this BICA (that’s Behind In Count (batting)Average to the layman) info, Bobby! I think it’s an extremely telling stat as a tremendous indicator as to how a player handles adversity. Carlson needs to bring his act to the show soon. What an outfield logjam we have bottling things up in St. Louis. A thinning of the crop has to be in the short term forecast.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

I could see Carlson as a mid season promotion next year at the earliest. I think he needs some time in Memphis before coming to St. Louis. Like has been mentioned we need to thin the herd some before bringing him up.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Burgos has been very, very good this year. He is 18 so it doesn’t make him exceptionally young or anything, but it’s a pretty impressive second go around in the DSL for him. Being left handed, he could be a prize of the system in a couple of years. Being not in the US yet, he could flame out too but he should be interesting to watch.

Participant

Paid - Annual

“Thin the herd”……I love that, Scotty! Great post by stlcard25 too! Matter of fact, I haven’t seen a single bad post today. It’s early though…..anyone seen The Esteemed One yet today?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years