Minor league thread – Wed 4/25

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Minor league thread – Wed 4/25

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Memphis vs. Round Rock: Daniel Poncedeleon
    Springfield vs. NW Arkansas (AM): Conner Greene
    Palm Beach vs. Jupiter: Casey Meisner
    Peoria at Beloit: Johan Oviedo

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Two down, two to go…

Participant

Paid - Annual

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Peoria would be a good team if they had a better bullpen. Their bullpen is a trash heap. Prendergast and Dobzanski are the only guys who can be relied on out of the pen. How Kevin Hamann still hasn’t been released or sent down is beyond me.

Their rotation is actually pretty solid 1-5.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Yep, Peoria has lost 3 straight one run games.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Free

Yepez is still only 20 in full season ball. That type of hitting at his age is still extremely solid.

Don’t be surprised if they jump him to aa relatively quickly at some point so palm beach and the fsl doesn’t beat him down.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yepez moving off 3B takes a little luster off his hitting prowess but if he can keep it up, I wouldn’t hate having a slugging 1B guy ready to move up in the next 2-3 years. Would be interesting in that he was the return for the last slugging 1B prospect we had (not counting guys like Voit who are seen as more fringe/depth prospects nationally).

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

hitting over .400 a month in seems a bit better than “solid” it’s pretty exceptional, no matter the position

especially for a guy who everyone panned

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Unfortunately, Yepez, like most of our legitimate 1B prospects bats RH.

I am not in favor of guys skipping PB because it is a tough hitters park. For RH hitters it is not worse than average for hitting (and I believe actually is better than Peoria).

Participant

Free

Hey, I said extremely solid lol

It’s legit is the point. He would come down a bit eventually regardless of level. But at that level and that age in that park? He can hit. Period. He is a legit prospect.

The reason i said he might jump quickly-ish to Springfield is several layers deep but basically… Springfield is a hitter park and the jump from a ball to aa isn’t much bigger than high a to aa especially given the relative park strength.

I’m not saying immediately… I’m saying he might move up to high a relatively soon to finish the first half then aa for the second half. Or high a for the first part of the second half then aa for the playoff run.

Some time, but not overwhelming.

If he is hitting like this, the cards have a history of challenging minor leaguers. I don’t see why he would be any different.

Participant

There’s been a lot of talk about our corner infielders recently. They are two spots we have had trouble with the last few seasons. Now it seems the pipeline is backing up, very good young talent needs to move up.

First Base:
    *Memphis- Voit and Ravelo… in a pinch they could fill in for STL. Both have MLB experience.

*Springfield- Nogowski .386 second in the TL in RBIs- 18.

*Palm Beach- Trosclair. Having trouble getting going in ’18, Has played second in the past, but Young now plays there.

*Peoria- Yepez, very young but too good for low-A

^EST- Cedeno 19, Kirtley 21 and now Whalen 20.

Third base:
    *Memphis- Wisdom .283, may be vulnerable to those looking to move up.

*Springfield: Edman and Seferina splitting time there because of Sosa and Urias. No INF spots available.

*Palm Beach: Mendoza 21 y.o. Solid .312

*Peoria: Montero .386 also very young at 20.

*Est: Williams 18

Some very good prospective talent now and adding to the depth. The organization has been somewhat lucky in filling the void at these two positions, but the real talent is still 3 years away, unless pushed.’m adding this on this thread also.

Participant

Free

Mendoza and Montero need to spend a bit more time practicing fielding.

Mendoza has 5 errors in 19 games and Montero has 6 in 16 games.

Evidently, Mendoza is playing better this past week, as I think those five errors came in his first 13 games, but still.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years