Minor league thread – Tue 8/13

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Minor league thread – Tue 8/13

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Brian Walton Brian Walton 1 week, 2 days ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Memphis at Fresno, Genesis Cabrera (4-5, 6.22) 9:05 CT.
    Springfield at Tulsa, Alex FaGalde (3-2, 2.05), 7:05 CT.
    Palm Beach at Tampa, pitcher TBA, 5:30 CT.
    Peoria off
    State College vs. Williamsport, Andre Pallante (1-0, 1.57) 6:05 CT.
    Johnson City vs. Princeton, Jose Moreno (3-3, 8.12) 5:30 CT.
    GCL Cards vs. GCL Nationals, pitcher TBA, 9:00 a.m. CT.
    DSL Red at DSL D-backs2, pitcher TBA, 9:30 a.m. CT.
    DSL Blue vs. DSL Rockies, pitcher TBA, 9:30 a.m. CT.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Carlson with 2 more SB’s last night, he’ll shoot up a lot of top 100 lists this offseason, but if he can get to that magical 20 number and be a 20-20 guy, that would be great to see.

Is there a way to search for 20 Y/O’s (or younger) who have put up 20-20 seasons in AA in the past?

Christopher Jeske
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This piqued my curiosity too.

From what I was able to search from 2006 to 2019, no 20 year old has put up a 20/20 season in AA. Carlson would be the first.

Joc Pederson in 2013 was the only 21 year old (22 hr, 31, sb, 519 pa).

I would guess that others who were on pace for a 20/20 season were promoted to AAA or MLB before they reached the milestone.

Carlson’s AA season so far looks remarkably similar to (even a little better than) the AA versions of Christian Yelich, Cody Bellinger, and Joc Pederson.

Among other recent Cardinals players/prospects, Carlson’s season is close to the the AA versions of Tyler O’Neill (with SEA) and Justin Williams (with TB). His numbers are also close to Oscar Taveras, but in my opinion, Taveras reached a higher level of production. (I looked at age, PA/HR, PA/SB, BB%, K%, ISO, OPS, wRC+).

Derek Shore
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Drew Sutton was the last player in the Texas League to accomplish a 20-20 season in the Texas League. He played for Corpus Christi in 2008. Alex Gordon also had a 20-20 season when the Royals were the Wichita Wranglers. That was in 2006.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by Avatar Derek Shore.
    PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Alexander “The Great” coughing up 2 hits and 4 walks in just 3 1/3 innings of labor tonight. And those walks are so uncharacteristically unlike his MO ( that’s “modus operandi” for all of you residing in Joplin ). I just have to believe it’s residue from his recent injury. I’m as bullish as ever for Alexander!

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Thanks for the info on this. Could I asked what you used to do such a search? Or just combing through the info?

Regarding Carlson, on top of the potential 20-20 season, the 24 doubles and 6 triples likely mean a bit more power down the road as well. I saw somewhere that it was mentioned he would be a “Perfect #2 Hitter”, they could use that right about now unless Randy or Lane are ready to step in!

Christopher Jeske
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Sure. I used Fangraphs Milb Leaderboards (selected: Season Start 2006, Season End 2019, Min PA 300, League AA: All Leagues) then there’s an “export data” link above the table.

Next I opened in excel and used filters to set a 20 HR and 20 SB minimum, and 21 age and 600 PA maximum.

One important note with this method–when you select multiple years instead of a single year, it combines stats for all years at the level into a single line and uses the season age during which a player first reached the level. For example, Dylan Cozens also showed up using this filter and data set, but he reached AA at the end of his age 21 season and his 20/20 year at AA was actually his age 22 season.

The 600 PA maximum eliminates anyone who took multiple seasons to accumulate totals of least 20/20. It might not be precise, but I’m guessing anyone who goes 20/20 at a young age is going to get a promotion and not stick around at AA for more than 600 PA.

Bob Reed
    Participant

Paid - Annual

What a great subject for investigation. Thanks for prompting it, ChiTown. And for the research, CJ.

I’m pretty sure the last Texas Leaguer age 20 or younger to post a 20/20 season was Gregg Jefferies, back in 1987. Jefferies, just 19 at the time, popped 20 homers and pilfered 26 bases, which ranked him 11th and 7th in the league, respectively. Best stat? He had 48 doubles.

In the Southern League, 19-year-old Delmon Young had a 20/25 season in 2005 — and in just 84 games! (That exclamation point was brought to you courtesy of Pugs.)

In the Eastern League you have to go back to 1993 when Cliff Floyd recorded his amazing 26/31 season in just 101 games. He was 20, and he was gonna be Frank Thomas, but with speed. If you don’t already know what happened to him, don’t look it up. Kinda gruesome.

Before anyone inquires, I got my information by asking both Alexa and Siri. Told them whichever was fastest with the answers would win a set of steak knives. Loser gets tossed in a dumpster.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Great stuff, thanks fellas. With the group this year and likely a log jam again early next year, it’s anyones guess when he gets to STL, but that will be a great switch hitting piece to have.

Fowler and JMart are basically locks to be on the 2020 Cardinals, then Bader, O’Neill, Thomas, Randy A and Adolis G will likely be fighting it out for two or three spots. I could definitely see at least one or two of those guys moved in the offseason.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Bob Reed allowed me to put a wrapper around his excellent research shared here.

Cardinals Carlson Approaching Rare Double-A 20-20 at 20

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years