Minor league thread – Tue 6/18

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Minor league thread – Tue 6/18

This topic contains 16 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Avatar 14NyquisT 3 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Memphis vs. Las Vegas, Alex Reyes (1-2, 6.95), 11:05 a.m. CT.
    Springfield at Midland, Johan Oviedo (1-3, 6.91) 6:30 CT.
    Palm Beach vs. Jupiter (2), Tommy Parsons (3-1, 2.13)/TBA 4:00 CT.
    Peoria – MWL All-Star Game, 6:35 CT.
    State College at Williamsport, Jacob Schlesener (0-0, 0.00) 6:05 CT.
    Johnson City vs. Pulaski, pitcher TBA, 5:30 CT.
    DSL Red vs. Brewers, pitcher TBA, 9:30 a.m. CT.
    DSL Blue at Phillies Red, pitcher TBA, 9:30 a.m. CT.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

LV absolutely manhandled the Memphis pitching staff this series. Heck manhandled isn’t even the proper word for how methodical and deliberate they beat Memphis.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Part of me wonders if Reyes is disinterested in the minors. He wasn’t great in Memphis before his callup in 2016 either. Could be at least somewhat a motivation issue.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

If you have ever spoken to players (or coaches for that matter), their desire to get to the majors is very, very high. The minors are not a place anyone wants to be, especially after getting a taste of the bigs.

If lack of motivation is the issue for Reyes (which I highly doubt), then he needs to find another line of work.

P.S. If he doesn’t care, why did he punch a wall and break his hand in frustration after a bad outing?

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Reyes’ final line: 5 IP, 10 hits, 6 ER, 3 BB, 9 Ks. Not great.

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

As I said in another thread, I am afraid Reyes is going to end up similar to another Cardinal hurler back around 2000. Hall of Fame stuff but just never seemed to get there for whatever the reason. Of course I am talking about Rick Ankiel.

At this point it appears as if Reyes is all but washed up.

r/Esteemed Rat

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

He might punch the wall again after today’s outing..ugh…

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If you have ever spoken to players (or coaches for that matter), their desire to get to the majors is very, very high. The minors are not a place anyone wants to be, especially after getting a taste of the bigs.

If lack of motivation is the issue for Reyes (which I highly doubt), then he needs to find another line of work.

P.S. If he doesn’t care, why did he punch a wall and break his hand in frustration after a bad outing?

Maybe a better term for it would be a loss of focus. I suppose that he would generally have a desire to get back to St Louis, but like Carlos Martinez (and really all pitchers at times), the focus may not be there.

Something seems to be up with him. Perhaps the two season ending injuries are just too much to come back from, or maybe he’s just in need of more time. Maybe he’s pressing. I don’t know…but for a guy who has his stuff, even still, there is a perplexing lack of results that goes beyond just that he’s struggling with control. At least it seems so to my uneducated eye.

EuroWolf
    EuroWolf
    Participant

Free

Ninety percent of the game is half mental.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Palm Beach has three DSL grads starting tonight; 3b Francisco Hernandez, OF Luis Montano at DH and SS Franklyn Soto. I suspect that they all will end up at the GCL but Hernandez and Montano both have a double.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ninety percent of the game is half mental.

Does that mean the game is 45% mental, Euro?

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Randy Arozarena has quietly had a good season at Springfield and Memphis. Hopefully he can maintain the traction and the team can get some value from him either in St Louis or in a trade.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The way Arozarena is playing now he has put himself back on the depth chart caulk board. For a time it looked like he was slipping away and losing ground to the opening day MEM outfielders. The way things are working out Randy may be climbing back over those guys.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years