Minor league thread – Tue 5/7

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Minor league thread – Tue 5/7

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Avatar gscottar 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Memphis vs. Iowa – Anthony Shew (1-0, 0.00) 6:35 CT
    Springfield at Frisco – Evan Kruczynski (0-3, 8.89) 7:05 CT
    Palm Beach at Daytona – Angel Rondon (3-1, 2.03) 6:05 CT
    Peoria at West Michigan – Cole Aker (0-2, 6.86), 6:05 CT

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I really like the Memphis rotation. Shew, Woodford, Ponce, and Gomber would be better than what we have in St. Louis right now.

14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

I don’t know what to make of Shew other than he has been consistently good last season and very good this season and that is at each level he has progressed to. He was signed as an UFA in ’16 and didn’t fare well at Johnson City. It seemed at that point he would be just another UFA.

In ’17 he started out one level higher at SC and sent up the Peoria. And that is where he started opening some eyes. Hmmm… who is this guy.

Last season his April/May at Palm Beach went very well and he continued to impress which got him to AA. His June and July numbers were as they had been, consistently good. He did stumble a bit in August perhaps because it was first full season at full season ball.

He made up for that late season ending at Springfield as he had a terrific April ’19 there. The organization continues to challenge him with the promotion to AAA MEM. on 4/29. Two starts, 11.2 inn. 0 ERs, .214 OBA. Underrated? Overwhelming? on 5/8/’19, you bet. Hmmm…. the question remains… who is this guy?…. what exactly is a walk-on doing at AAA and succeeding? He just keeps walking on. Could he take a giant step and find Busch on his horizon? Can it be possible for him to jump over the Redbirds prospect starters? That’s another question.

His starts at Memphis should pique more interest. Stay tuned.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am a fan of the blue collar guys. Pedigree means nothing to me if you can’t prove it when it counts. (Reyes & Hudson). Shew keeps proving he can get the job done. Same with Woodford.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years