Minor league thread – Tue 5/21

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Minor league thread – Tue 5/21

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by UConn Card UConn Card 3 weeks, 5 days ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Memphis at Nashville, Genesis Cabrera (1-3, 6.95) 6:35 CT
    Springfield vs. Tulsa, Johan Oviedo (1-0, 5.94) 6:30 CT
    Palm Beach at Lakeland, Perry DellaValle (2-2, 2.17) 5:30 CT
    Peoria at Wisconsin (2), Diego Cordero (2-2, 1.66), Michael Brettell (1-0, 1.23) 5:05 CT

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This is an interesting list of pitchers for today.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Peoria’s rotation is out of sync with those two double headers last week followed by a rain out and a next day off plus Schmid has replaced Schlesener. Now another twin-bill today so Cordero will start on 5 days rest and the second game will be worked by the bullpen.

This will be Oviedo’s fourth start for Springfield. It would be good to see him throw a winner this evening. Cabrera is due for a lights out start.

Dellavalle pitches fairly well on the road so he might be able to beat Lakeland.

Nashville is 5-14 at home.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Is there a reason Alexis Wilson is listed on the Palm Beach roster and Ortega on the IL?

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Technically, Dellavalle pitched a better game than the Player of the day. Give credit where credit is due.

Last night JFernandez struck out five in two innings and lowered his season ERA down to 1.38, 1.13 in his last 10 games. 20 Ks in 13.0 innings for the S-Birds… the kid is back. He seems to like bullpen work now but I wonder if any thought has been given to stretch him out.

Its the starting pitching that is hurting his team. That and I can see a lot of underachievement offensively.

#24(TCN) JWilliams 51 ABs .196 – coming off an injury.
    Mieses 91 ABs .209 – he was more productive at AAA.
    #34 Capel 141 ABs .220 – he does have 7 HRs.
    #2 Montero 85 .224 – returning from an injury.
    #12 Arozarena 31 ABs .226 needs to do better at AA. He was injured early on out of camp.

Hopefully these guys get going in the warmer months ahead but for now disappointing.

Only #3 Carlson is producing as advertised.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The fact that a player’s team won the game can be a tiebreaker in our Player of the Day selection process. DellaValle was clearly recognized in the article, as well. Good to see you defending him though after you said last week that he had not been standing out (or comparable words). He has been quite consistent, but has an unfortunate history of not receiving run support back to the 2018 GCL.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

On May 10th I wrote:

Dellavalle hasn’t been dominant except for that 4/17 game that he managed 8inns of no run ball. PB-Cards lost the game to Lakeland 1-0 in the bottom of the ninth

Dellavalle’s Game Scores prior to May 10, 40-54-81-60-58-53-44. Since May 10, 66-71. See the difference.

Since W-L records are not that important, especially in the minors, I don’t even look at them.

If Cabrera’s GS of 61 was closer to Dellavalle’s 71 it would be a toss-up. Otherwise a no doubter, IMO. Actually, an informal selection isn’t important but should be at least fair. I’m just glad that Cabrera pitched his best game of the season and Memphis won the game. The PB bullpen lost the game for Palm Beach.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I respect your opinion that Game Scores should decide Player of the Day and that they should be a factor in assessing pitcher performance, but I don’t consider them. MiLB.com does not even list Game Scores as far as I can tell. However, I cannot speak for our writers who usually make the Player of the Day selections, though I take responsibility for today.

(Side irrelevant point. I stopped following Game Score developer Bill James on Twitter because he wants us to share his interest in politics. No thanks, Bill.)

UConn Card
    UConn Card

Paid - Annual

I don’t consider Game Scores either.

What if one starter is facing that league’s top offense while another is facing their league’s worst?

What about weather or playing field conditions? That can certainly impact a GS.

Best performance at highest level and it’s subjective. Re last night’s games, if DellaValle produced those results at Double-A vs High-A, I’d give him the nod over Cabrera.

But given the relative talent gap between Triple-A and High-A plus the FSL’s reputation as a pitcher’s league, I agree with Brian’s choice. A choice he graciously allowed me to foist on him.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years