Minor league thread – Thu 5/31

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Minor league thread – Thu 5/31

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Memphis at New Orleans: Dakota Hudson
    Springfield vs. Corpus Christi: Carlos Martinez
    Palm Beach vs. Charlotte: Jake Walsh
    Peoria vs. Burlington (2): Kodi Whitley/Levi MaVorhis

Participant

Paid - Annual

O`Neill and Gant heading to Memphis.Mayers,Voit and Gomber to STLouis.Alex Reyes to 10 DL (right Lat strain)

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

anyone talking about Wisdom lately? hitting over .300(.307), 7 HRs 34 RBIs…still a lot of strikeouts but making up for it with more hits and healthy amount of walks obviously

he seems to have answered the demand for him to get better yet again

at some point isnt he the guy who should get the call to MLB instead of Voit…his defense at 3b and 1b should get him that call and 40man spot instead of Voit IMO no matter the fun local story that Voit is

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

They don’t need another first or third baseman. For a new face, bring up Mercado, who is already on the roster. His BA is higher than Wisdom’s and he has just one fewer HR. In addition, he has 12 steals and is a plus defender in CF. Pinch run him late in a close game and he might win one with his legs.

Participant

They don’t another 1B but we have Voit up.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Mercado makes sense. Voit doesn’t.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Right. Like I said, they don’t need another first (Voit) or third baseman (Wisdom).

Participant

But they brought up the worse hitter of the two positions they don’t need. Why not Wisdom over Voit to sit on the bench and pinch hit?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Why not Mercado instead of either of them? They would not need to clear a 40-man roster spot for Mercado as they would for Wisdom. Plus, Mercado is a top 15 prospect in the system. Voit and Wisdom are not.

Participant

I agree about Mercado. But Voit makes no sense other than being on the 40 man roster he brings nothing.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

The bright side is that I am betting that this is Voit’s last chance to prove himself. If he struggles like he did earlier in the year I would bet he is removed from the 40 man roster.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Voit has had some success as a RH pinch hitter in MLB.That has to be part of the reasoning.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I would drop Edmundo Sosa
    Before Voit.Cards have many other options instead of Sosa.Edmann,Schrock,Kramer Robertson etc;.

Participant

Paid - Annual

IMO, too early to give up on Sosa. He is young for the Texas League and finally starting to show some traction offensively.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Who has more runway ahead? Voit is 27 years old. Sosa is 22. Voit plays one position – the same one that is the best position of both Matt Carpenter and Jose Martinez. If it was down to the two of them to remain on the roster – which it isn’t – the decision would be clear for me.

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

I’d seriously trade JMart to AL team needing a DH/1B.

Participant

Free

“I’d seriously trade JMart to AL team needing a DH/1B.”

KC want him back? I agree though and send Voit with him. And Wong. And probably a few more.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cmart has given up two homers tonight in the second inning of the AA rehab start. One other hit and two Ks so far.

Participant

Paid - Annual
    Participant

Paid - Annual

All of these posts in this thread and nary one dealing with the topic at hand. Pardon me, but over the years, yours truly has kind of been the board policeman when it comes to we posters staying on topic. Let’s keep our eye on the ball gang! Much much to go over in respect to yesterday’s system wide scores. But I’ll leave that to the experts and just mention that anytime your team strikes out 16 and walks just 3 in a twin bill, the odds are pretty fare that you are going to come away with a sweep. And that is exactly what our upstart Chiefs squad did to Burlington yesterday en route to their 13-7 combined score sweep. May I just reiterate to all of us to keep swinging away with those posts, but do so while keeping your eye on the ball by staying on topic. Thank you very much for your cooperation.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian, forgive me if this has been covered somewhere else… But what is the realistic ceiling/scouting report on Montero? It sure seems like he has taken off this year. Is he likely to stick at third base? Is the hit tool legitimate? He sure seems to be an exciting prospect this year, and could fly up the rankings pretty quickly considering the number of players about to graduate from the system.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree Mercado would be the guy to call up instead of Voit yesterday (foresight not involved)

my main point was in a Voit vs Wisdom decision in the past it had to do with production and faults with Wisdom’s play…but over the last two years he has addressed those concerns and Voit, while being on the 40man hasnt really progressed much at all and is al esser defender at his main position than Wisdom and only a 1b which Wisdom can cover too

My question has nothign to do with who got called up yesterday and more Voit vs Wisdom as a member of the 40man and for the seeming 40man spot for AAA corner infielder/pinch hitter AAA shuttle member

I woudl prefer not to lose Voit if we dont have to, but what Wisdom is doing should be talked about and given credit for

also…any word on Guillmet getting the 40man spot today and Baron or someone else coming off?

I think it is a really poor decision to just let him go if he wants with how he has played and our need in the pen

Participant

Paid - Annual

Based on this years results, Mercado is better than Voit, Wisdom is better than Voit, Schrock is better than Voit and maybe even Arozarena is better than Voit. All but Wisdom are playing positions where Cardinal regulars are strugleing. But Voit has one thing that none of the others have. Experience at the major league level and some success coming off the bench. Most often young players, even phenoms, struggle with their first major league exposure. I well remember that young Willie Mays was frustrated to the point of tears with his struggles when he was called up to the Giants after hitting over .400 in AAA.

I feel that Matheny is better at giving young guys a shot than LaRussa. He gave O’Neill the opportunity to run with it and become another Bellinger or DeJong. But O’Neill probably needed to go back and work on a few things. He regressed to the point where he was swinging through fast balls down the middle. Probably more overconfidence from his early success than anything else.

I’m sure Mercado would be valuable as a pinch runner but I think the thing we needed most was a dependable pinch hitter off the bench. I dont expect Voit to stay long and will be suprised if he even gets a start but we need all the offense we can get now. Voit may not even get another hit while he is up but his clutch hit last night was one that will long be remembered.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25, here is Montero’s prospect writeup. It should give you input on your questions.

TCN 2018 St. Louis Cardinals Prospect #36: Elehuris Montero

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years