Minor league thread – Sun 5/12

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Minor league thread – Sun 5/12

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Brian Walton Brian Walton 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Memphis vs. Nashville – Anthony Shew (1-0, 0.00) 2:05 CT.
    Springfield vs. NW Arkansas – Williams Perez (3-1, 4.86) 4:10 CT.
    Palm Beach and Peoria off

Happy Mother’s Day!

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Peoria is now the place to be. Gorman, Torres, and Nunez. Wow!!

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Oh Wow! Malcom in Peoria. Now that’s something to get excited about!

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Shew took a comebacker off his arm and had to leave in the third inning. No further details yet.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

And the hits keep a coming.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Isn’t Brian supposed to be at EST soon? Bad timing for him to miss on Nunez and Torres, but good for the folks able to see games in Peoria. Hopefully they do well.

Bob Reed
    Participant

Paid - Annual

“Bad timing for him to miss on Nunez and Torres, but good for the folks able to see games in Peoria. Hopefully they do well.”

I may be going to Wednesday’s game. If I do, I’ll file a full report, 25.

Not sure how Torres and Nunez both make a top 5 Cardinal list, what with Gorman, Montero, Knizner, Carlson, and Ivan Herrera each distinctly ahead of them. Herrera for instance is younger than Torres and already succeeding conspicuously for the Chiefs.

If Ivan keeps doing what he’s doing, there’s pretty much no way that Torres can catch him this year — especially given that Herrera has much more defensive upside, too, if he remains at catcher. I like Torres plenty (roughly 12-14 slot in the organization), but I can’t help feeling that some folks are overreacting to his blistering three weeks with the Gulf Coast Birds last year. Throw out those 17 games and his career track record is good-but-unspecial.

I mean, if we’re going to completely re-evaluate a guy based on that kind of sample size, in a league where he is merely age-appropriate, then let’s make Julio Rodrigez a top 30-40 overall prospect right now. Because he’s a 21-year-old catcher with a nearly 200 wRC+ in High-A, his defensive markers are all off the charts, and he has the lowest strikeout rate of the 44 hitters in his league with an above average isolated slugging. So high ceiling, safe floor — if we only look at his 90+ trips to the plate this year.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years