Minor league thread – Sun 4/15

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Minor league thread – Sun 4/15

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

All day games.

Memphis vs. Iowa: John Gant
    Springfield vs. Frisco: Connor Jones
    Palm Beach vs. Florida: Evan Kruczynski
    Peoria vs. Burlington (2): Evan Guillory/Alvaro Seijas

14NyquisT
    Participant

It must be the confidence level at (9-1) Memphis that has their rotation humming. Gant, Flaherty and Poncedeleon have all excelled in their first 2 starts. Hudson (2-0) and Gomber (1-0) have been just okay but have profited from the Redbirds winning ways.

On the other side, (3-7) Springfield’s starters (except for Greene’s gem yesterday) have likely felt far less confident. After the second swing through the rotation (CJones goes today) there are no similarities with Memphis’ success. For the level of play in the AA Texas League, one would figure that Woodford#18-Helsley#9-Greene(arrived after the poll)-Tewes#29-CJones#23 would be closer to equal with our AAA representative. Not the case so far.

Its very, very early but no starter has gone 5.0 or more inn. more than once. Five of the first nine starts resulted in the starter not lasting 5.0. Its a good group of arms yet the success hasn’t been there. Not one of the five can be pleased with their work up until now. I dare say, is it possible that we overvalued the whole group? Nah, we’re better than that… and so are these prospects. They’ll get turned around when the weather ever heats up.

14NyquisT
    Participant

I should point out that the Memphis rotation has not have one MLB’s GAME START (GS) UNDER 46. (A starting pitcher starts out with 50). The Springfield starters (before Greene’s 80 yesterday) have not had a GS OVER 45. That is almost mind-blowing.

mbusapp
    Participant

Free

How much longer till Luke Voit returns?

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Gant with the solid start today. Too bad Arturo blew the game. Him and Gillmartin have been pretty bad.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Still early, but Yepez with a slash line of .500/.543/.843 so far. Maybe he’s catching on and that return for Adams won’t feel so light. I remember Juan being a common punching bag last season.

Dylan Carlson also is playing well, with a 1.010 OPS on the young season. Would be good to see a couple of solid bats start moving up through the system.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

5-1 Memphis after 3. O’Neill with 2 homers (6 on the year) and now batting .439 with 18 rbi (game 12). Shrock 2-2 and batting .413. Mercado a homer and now batting .368.

Mrperkins
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We have great young outfield talent at AAA but that depth chart at Springfield is not inspiring. Would love to see Carlson make a move, though he would have to make it through the tough on hitting league Palm Beach plays in. Hoping to see Plummer, Denton, or even my favorite named fellow Murders figure it out and get to AA before season’s end. This outfield of Thomas, Spitz, and Roache is unexciting to say the least. Was aiming for 20-30 games attended this year but may save it for Woodford/Helsey starts. Helsey was consistently at 95 by the gun on the game I was at last week.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Haven’t seen much of Thomas yet, but what there is has been good. He already has four homers in 10 games.

Members should look for Derek Shore’s feature on Thomas to be posted on Tuesday morning.

PadsFS
    Participant

O’Neill is absolutely crushing it. Incredible.

14NyquisT
    Participant

It doesn’t matter what O’Neill does…. he has no place to go. Same for AGarcia and Arozarena and Mercado, plus Bader. One of them should be starting in Busch.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I predict O’Neill up and Bader down by June first unless an OF gets injured first then they bith might be in STL.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I agree, CC. Injuries happen every year. There was a period last summer when three outfielders were on the DL at the same time. No reason to be impatient. It will work itself out.

I disagree, Ny. It matters very much what O’Neill does. If he tanks, another OF will pass him. Thankfully, he obviously does not share your doom and gloom view.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.