Minor league thread – Sat Aug 5

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Minor league thread – Sat Aug 5

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Memphis at Tacoma: Dakota Hudson
    Springfield at NW Arkansas: Zac Gallen
    Palm Beach vs. Clearwater: Mike O’Reilly
    Peoria at Clinton: Evan Kruczynski
    State College at Mahoning Valley: Johan Oviedo
    Johnson City vs. Princeton: Jacob Schlesener
    GCL Cards vs. Astros
    DSL Cards at Twins

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Question for Brian;
    What are your thoughts about these possible moves concerning 40-man roster and some Memphis players
    1.Tyler O’Neill OF-potential power bat could replace Breyvic Valera INF-OF on the roster.O’Neill offers power while Valera offers little besides some versatility and you have said BV lacks big arm for middle defense.BV has been passed over by Mejia anyway it seems.

2.Jack Flaherty RHP to replace Sean Gilmartin LHP injury AAA.Couldn`t Gilmartin be moved to 60 -DL to open a spot for Flaherty.
    3.Nick Martini OF or Rangel Ravelo1B -either could replace a Mike Mayers RHP who would just be another guy to sit in a already crowed bullpen with possible callus Gant and Wick and Weaver.Martini could be a LH bench bat with Sierra and/or Ravelo could be a Rh bench bat .Both make good contact which is something Cards need.
    4.What about a 3rd Catcher for September?…..Lino or Rosario or neither?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

1. O’Neill should get a look pretty soon. I can’t see Valera’s future in StL, but he is helping Memphis. I’d try to keep him until the off-season vs. risking losing him now.

2. Gilmartin is already pitching in rehab games so is not a 60 day DL candidate. Could Flaherty help the bullpen? Sure, but would be turn the season around? No. Flaherty does not require Rule 5 protection this winter. Every Flaherty added to the 40-man would risk another Cordoba exposed.

3. I would try O’Neill before Ravelo or Martini. Sierra will also be back before either of them get a shot, I imagine.

4. Why burn a 40-man spot with a third catcher when the second one so rarely plays and the first one refuses to sit out? Neither Rosario nor Lino are prospects, but next year, if he keeps it up, Knizner would be an interesting addition.

(P.S. No idea what keyboard you are using, but whatever your apostrophe is, it messes up your posts. Not sure what you can do about it and I am editing your posts to clean them up. Not seeing this oddity from any other poster. Just an FYI.)

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

I have a feeling the org is going to have a ‘come to jesus’ moment with some of the veterans in the off-season.

I can just see yadi getting hurt in august or september and the chaos that would happen.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

If they get a catching injury, they would make room to add Rosario to the 40-man and drop him after the season, just like they did in 2016.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

Fair… But I was more referring to the fact that kelly would more than likely play decently to well.

…Which would then force the org to play or trade him. And molina is showing a very diva-ish personality right now.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I get your point now. If Molina is hurt and Kelly plays well in extended duty, it would make the outlook for the next three years even more complicated than it already is.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Thanks for the reply Brian W.I sure hope O’Neill gets a callup.I am a fan of Grichuk but RG looks lost and seems to have totally lost his confidence right now.Pham has done a good job and Martnez has done fine as a RH bench bat.I see your point about Flaherty but if the season continues sinking down the crapper why not give him a audition with Weaver?Cards need to keep Kelly.Yadi needs to be told he isan`t the manager and to concentrate on playing ball.If he wants to be a social diva then go marry a Kardashian.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian-sorry about the sloppy post form.I tried cleaning the keyboard (HP keyboard that came with the computer) and it still screws up.I will try more cleaning.Something is sticking and causing problem.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Like I said regarding Flaherty, there is a real 40-man roster tradeoff to consider. He is not going to lead the 2017 Cards into the post-season. From a development perspective, he is not dying on the vine in Memphis.

As we have seen, even if there were 20 guys in the pen, the same few get all the usage. All things considered, I would leave Flaherty in Memphis to start every fifth day.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

No need to apologize. But I really think it is the character your keyboard uses for the apostrophe. Try posting without the apostrophe or use another character instead. I think that is the root of the formatting problem, rather than a sticky key.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

Dont know if ‘trade one of the two’ is complicated. The melodrama that seems to be involved is annoying.

My guy says fowler was having similar issues with bader fyi…

Also the more I think about it someone is enabling this attitude in the organization. My instincts say it has been matheny. And when the organization told him to change yadi then had issues publicly.

Just seems to be how it has played out… To me anyway

14NyquisT
    Participant

IMO, Wick and Gilmartin don’t belong on the 40-man. Wick has become a very average AA reliever and Gilmartin has shown very little in his career as far as I can see. I’m not sure who will need protection from the Padres, but there’s two possible spots.
    The organization keeps Valera around because the guy can flat out HIT. Perhaps next Spring he’ll move up on the depth chart. O’Neill may get a shot at the 40-man…. the F.O. didn’t trade Marco for a AAAA OFer.
    Right now Rosario is #3 on the depth chart only because of his MLB experience. That #3 spot will soon go to Knizner who is having a great year at AA.

I get the feeling that the Cardinals will bite the bullet and lose a significant amount of $$ when Molina goes…. and in less then 3 1/2 years… and sooner than our fans think. I don’t see any other way to resolve that misguided contract mistake. IMO right now he is persona non grata. Sorry Yadi, you brought this on yourself.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.