Minor league thread – Sat 5/12

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Minor league thread – Sat 5/12

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Memphis vs, Nashville: Daniel Poncedeleon
    Springfield at Arkansas: Conner Greene
    Palm Beach at Bradenton: TBA
    Peoria at Dayton: Jake Walsh

vegasjim
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Sounds like Peoria will face high draft pick much talked about Hunter Greene tonight.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

In an odd head-scratcher the Cardinals reassign Jesse Jenner from Memphis to Springfield while reassigning Jeremy Martinez from Springfield to Memphis.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I don’t normally get worked up over backup catcher news, but I just banged out 650 words on this for members.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

It is not like Martinez has been bad this year.

Actually this makes some sense. If they think AA is the right place for Kizner than he should stay there. They may want Kizner to get as much pt as possible. They also may want Martinez to get more playing time. With Kelly in the Lou, Memphis might be the best place for that.

Cards1776
    Participant

Free

Knizner should have gone to Memphis on May 6th as soon as the organization knew of the extent of Yadi’s injury and Kelly went to St. Louis. He performed well in Springfield last year, he performed well in the AFL, he performed well in Spring Training, and he was batting at the top of the Texas League for weeks …. and the talk has been about how much his defense had improved. I find it suspect that when Kelly moved up to St. Louis, there was suddenly all this talk that Knizner’s defense still needed work. I also suspect that Knizner was not moved to Memphis because there may be concern he could do well there AND it would create a problem about what to do with Kelly when Yadi returns. Just my two cents, but it is a shame that Knizner has not gotten a promotion because he has demonstrated that he he deserves one.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cards1776, you and I feel very similarly, as I wrote in my article. We will read lots of words to try to justify it, but they don’t stand up under the sunshine test.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Jesus Cruz’ (PB) 6 K’s in two innings of work was an eye-catcher as well.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Cards1776:

. I also suspect that Knizner was not moved to Memphis because there may be concern he could do well there AND it would create a problem about what to do with Kelly when Yadi returns

I believe that one statement must be what its all about. If it is chess, Knizner is the king and Jenner and JeMartinez are pawns. Martinez is an upgrade over Baron who simply can’t hit well at AAA. That said, Martinez has been at AAA for one game (the AAA championship game) and may have some success there. A steady improvement over the season will put him in contention for the “comeback” award after his unsettling ’17. Also, the organization will want some experienced C depth if Kelly is moved.

As for Knizner, who is being handled a lot differently than Kelly was, the organization may feel that he is making strides defensively at AA and they don’t want to upset that progress. There’s no problem offensively.

Cards1776
    Participant

Free

Also, the organization will want some experienced C depth if Kelly is moved.

As for Knizner, who is being handled a lot differently than Kelly was, the organization may feel that he is making strides defensively at AA and they don’t want to upset that progress. There’s no problem offensively.

14NyquisT, both of these prospects could make strides at either level AND moving one or the other would not upset anyone’s progress. Tell me why you think Martinez deserved the move to Memphis and Knizner didn’t. One has made steady improvement and the other, if he makes progress, may be in contention as the “comeback kid?” I am all for giving the underdog a chance when it is deserved. Knizner has already proven his chance is deserved. I welcome hearing your opinion on the current catching depth, so fire away.

14NyquisT
    Participant

I’ve made some comments about this situation on other “topics” of this forum and no where did I use the word “deserved”. Also I never compared Martinez to Knizner. I believe that I know Knizner’s value vs. Martinez’… its really not even close.

I’m like you on this matter… trying to figure out why the organization felt that this was the way to go.

You brought up the theory that (your words) “I also suspect that Knizner was not moved to Memphis because there may be concern he could do well there AND it would create a problem about what to do with Kelly when Yadi returns.”

I thought that this idea may have contributed to the decision.

There have been other proposed notions: “The only chink I can find in Knizner’s armor is a poor 3-for-20 showing against base stealers this season. Of course, how much of that to charge to the catcher and how much to the pitchers doing a poor job of holding runners close is always debatable. Last season at Springfield, Knizner was a very respectable 23 of 51 (45.1 percent) caught stealing, so is 2018 a backslide or just a small sample size?”

The people that know the answer to the question that you bring up are the ones that actually make these decisions. I’m sitting at my desk and pondering why they made this one.

Someone brought up that Memphis is sagging right now offensively and could use Knizner’s bat…. “And would this be enough to stop the promotion of a very good hitter to a Memphis team that is clearly struggling offensively? ” He should know that its not the Ws and Ls at AAA that matter. It is all about how to make the St. Louis Cardinals a better team MLB team. The affiliates are a means to that end, and they are all about progression of the prospects.

There is no valid reason to deflate Martinez’ abilities because you feel that he doesn’t “deserve” to be promoted. Actually, I doubt he even sat in on the discussion by the higher-ups who took this approach.

Cards1776
    Participant

Free

There is no valid reason to deflate Martinez’ abilities because you feel that he doesn’t “deserve” to be promoted. Actually, I doubt he even sat in on the discussion by the higher-ups who took this approach.

14NyquisT, I will reiterate that I stated my opinion that Knizner “deserved” a promotion… and my basis for the statement boils down to production and stats. I did not purposely deflate anyone, just based my opinion on stats that can not be argued. You are the one that mentioned that Martinez had been at Memphis for one game and that he might have some success there and possibly become the “comeback kid”. He could have equally had success and been the comeback kid had he stayed at Springfield. AND, Knizner might have success had he been given the opportunity at Memphis. I know that I was not the only one scratching my head on the Martinez to Memphis move… so I will restate my comment from another thread. REWARD PRODUCTION. GIVE CREDIT AND RECOGNITION WHERE IS IT DUE. STATS DON’T LIE.
    Wins and losses may not matter, and I agree it should be about making a better MLB team. Part of making a better team, MLB or otherwise, comes when you treat your people right…. AND reward performance. It just does not seem right to keep a kid down who HAS performed well.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

You see pitchers promoted over others in the minors that have lesser statistics and are less highly touted all the time. Not sure why it is such a big deal when it happens to a position player.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.