Minor league thread – Sat 4/14

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Minor league thread – Sat 4/14

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Memphis vs. Iowa: Daniel Poncedeleon
    Springfield vs. Midland (2): Conner Greene/Sam Tewes
    Palm Beach vs. Florida: Ian Oxnevad
    Peoria vs. Wisconsin: Evan Guillory

Derek Shore
    Participant

Paid - Annual

UncleDenny
    Participant

Montero, Yepez, and Mendoza and a few others very good starts in lower minors.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

For those who are members, I am just now putting the finishing touches on the April Top 50 prospect list update, which will run Monday. One big question was where to put Greene in his debut on our list. Hint: It will be more aggressive than MLB. (An admission. I had to go look at their list before I made that last statement. I don’t refer to their list at all when making mine.)

grayssportsalmanacc
    Participant

Free

brian, has there been any other demand shown for a second printing of your prospect guide? If so do youhave any idea when it might available for sale?

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

Greene has the upside to make that trade look absurdly good in our direction. He’s very similar to alcantara… high gas and inconsistent. If he can even control it for an inning at a time he can close for a long while.

That’s why I’m generally positive on the “dump” trades they’ve had over the last couple years (yepez, Greene, etc.). Not sure if O’Neill counts as that was more of a straight trade. They grabbed upside in all of them though. If one of them works out majorly we win IMO. One. That’s pretty solid given that odds are more than one will work out to some extent.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

As this point, I do not expect there will be another printing of the 2018 Prospect Guide. Only a handful of people have expressed interest, and at such a low quantity, the unit cost would go up to the point I’d lose money on each one.

I will bump up the Prospect Guide thread one more time in case others are out there who have not spoken up.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Peoria Chiefs and Wisconsin Timber Rattlers were rained out on Saturday night at Dozer Park. The teams will attempt to play a double header starting at Noon on Sunday.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Memphis wins again. 9-1 start. Poncedeleon 12 K’s in 5 innings of one run ball. Mercado and Arozarena running wild on the bases.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

14NyquisT
    Participant

It must be the confidence level at (9-1) Memphis that has their rotation humming. Gant, Flaherty and Poncedeleon have all excelled in their first 2 starts. Hudson (2-0) and Gomber (1-0) have been just okay but have profited from the Redbirds winning ways.

On the other side, (3-7) Springfield’s starters (except for Greene’s gem yesterday) have likely felt far less confident. After the second swing through the rotation (CJones goes today) there are no similarities with Memphis’ success. For the level of play in the AA Texas League, one would figure that Woodford#18-Helsley#9-Greene(arrived after the poll)-Tewes#29-CJones#23 would be closer to equal with our AAA representative. Not the case so far.

Its very, very early but no starter has gone 5.0 or more inn. more than once. Five of the first nine starts resulted in the starter not lasting 5.0. Its a good group of arms yet the success hasn’t been there. Not one of the five can be pleased with their work up until now. I dare say, is it possible that we overvalued the whole group? Nah, we’re better than that… and so are these prospects. They’ll get turned around when the weather ever heats up.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.