Minor league thread – Mon 7/22

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Minor league thread – Mon 7/22

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Memphis off
    Springfield at Corpus Christi, 6:15 pm CT, Johan Oviedo (3-4, 5.78)
    Palm Beach vs. St. Lucie, 6:30 pm ET, Perry DellaValle (5-5, 3.25)
    Peoria at Lake County, 6:00 pm CT, Kyle Leahy (4-8, 3.30)
    State College vs. Williamsport, 7:05 pm ET, Adrian Mardueno (1-1, 2.70)
    Johnson City vs. Danville, 6:30 pm ET, Jose Moreno (1-3, 11.57)
    GCL Cards vs. Astros, noon ET, Inohan Paniagua (1-2, 6.98)
    DSL Blue at Twins, 10:30 am ET, Reinys Portillo (2-3, 3.34)
    DSL Red vs. Brewers, 10:30 am ET, Edgar Manzo (1-2, 2.10)

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Good news on Montero’s return. Hand injuries often take a long time to fully come back from, but it would be nice to see him hit a little before the season is up. 21 starting at Springfield wouldn’t be any shame for next season.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Agreed. He needs to finish the season strong. If so he could get a shot at the big leagues fairly soon either with us or another organization.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’d be hesitant to trade him. I think he’s going to hit in the Jose Martinez mold, maybe with a bit more power but similarly high average and not super high OBP. I also think he’s going to end up a passable defender per reports from earlier in his career and the BP defensive metrics. Definitely not Cafecito defense, maybe more Matt Carpenter-ish.

Bob Reed did some excellent analysis on guys who put up his numbers in the MWL at 19. It was a who’s who of great prospects and excellent MLB players.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Diowil Burgos is in the lineup for GCL Cardinals and playing LF. Also over from DSL are pitchers Saniel Santana and Luis Tena.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Montero could face a roster logjam in St. Louis though.

We are stuck with Carp’s contract for at least two more years.
    Edman and Munoz have been impressive.
    Gorman is only 2 or 3 years away.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Montero could face a roster logjam in St. Louis though.

We are stuck with Carp’s contract for at least two more years.
    Edman and Munoz have been impressive.
    Gorman is only 2 or 3 years away.

He could…but then again, Carp might be toast, Edman and Munoz are probably utility guys (and both could be 2B if we decide to move Wong, which we probably should), and Gorman is still some time off. I’m not sure I see a real jam if he’s hitting like I suspect he will.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

What a pleasure it would be for the team to have too many players ready for MLB but no apparent place to play them. I remember when some people were critical when the Cards drafted three third basemen early the same year – Wisdom, Kelly and Piscotty. It gets worked out.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cardinals don’t have a history of putting $18M/year players on the bench even if they are toast. If they do that with Carp I will be impressed.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cardinals don’t have a history of putting $18M/year players on the bench even if they are toast. If they do that with Carp I will be impressed.

For the record, I personally don’t think he’s done…but I suspect that you believe he is. I guess my point is that if Montero is actually good (and I do believe he will be), then Edman and Munoz won’t be a hindrance and Carp will not either if he’s hitting .210 in mid 2021 when Montero is hammering at the door. Smart teams find spots for good hitters.

Participant

Paid - Annual

If Montero’s arrival date is mid to late ‘21 then he might find some playing time. Any earlier than that will be difficult. I am just saying that we have a history of allowing financial obligations dictate playing time too often. If it were up to me Carp would become our utility player with one of the younger guys starting at 3B but it isn’t up to me.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Some of these decisions would be easier if Cards hitters were tearing up the minor leagues, but that hasn’t been happening. Carlson may be the first legitimate league MVP candidate above Class-A since Oscar Taveras.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Paniagua pitched an excellent game for 5 innings for GCL Cardinals before the poor defense did him in the 6th inning. Burgos misplayed 2 fly balls that should have been caught.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Some of these decisions would be easier if Cards hitters were tearing up the minor leagues, but that hasn’t been happening. Carlson may be the first legitimate league MVP candidate above Class-A since Oscar Taveras.

I agree, although Tyler O’Neill probably would have been had he spent more time in Memphis last year.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years