Minor league thread – Fri Aug 4

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Minor league thread – Fri Aug 4

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Memphis at Tacoma: John Gant
    Springfield at NW Arkansas: Austin Gomber
    Palm Beach vs. Clearwater: Connor Jones
    Peoria at Beloit: Ian Oxnevad
    State College at West Virginia: Daniel Castano
    Johnson City vs. Princeton: Alvaro Seijas
    GCL Cards vs. Marlins: Angel Rondon
    DSL Cards vs. Twins

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

You take out gomber’s first start of the year (yes they count for good reason but still…) and his numbers look quite good. Another ho hum boring starter.

Last ten starts his era is 3.00

… I’ve been more quiet about him than I was last winter… But still like him. He is boring and solid and he will make the bigs in some capacity.

Pretty obvious he is ready for aaa … If a spot ever opens.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

There were plenty of openings at Memphis. Gomber was passed by Flaherty, Pearce and Gallen this year.

Edit: And Hudson, too.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

No argument on pecking order… the pitching situation in the minors is exciting. Having better alternatives doesnt make you bad.

I mostly just wanted to point out he seems to be doing well. If I had to guess… Bullpen long term but he seems to have a knack for getting outs so who knows.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Being a lefty would help – in most organizations. However, the Cards have four lefties in the MLB pen already plus Sherriff at Memphis.

Gomber is almost back to where he was a year ago at this time.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

Yeah there has to be some movement there this winter in my opinion.

Lyons has one year of arb (I believe) left so it isnt a ‘trade immediately situation.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Gomber has had some good sized bumps this season, but four out of his last five starts have been very solid. We’ll see where he stands at the end of this season and more importantly at spring training ’18.

Gomber has plenty of talent… but the other young guys have been even better. If the injury bug should bite (ala Poncedeleon) the effect should be minimal. BTW… I think of Danny every day just seeing him on the Memphis roster with a DL after his name. Get better fast Danny. 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.