Minor league thread – Fri Aug 11

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Minor league thread – Fri Aug 11

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Memphis at Nashville: Jack Flaherty
    Springfield at Corpus Christi: Ryan Helsley
    Palm Beach at Daytona: Sam Tewes
    Peoria vs. Burlington: Frederis Parra
    State College vs. Vermont: Jonathon Mulford
    Johnson City at Bristol: Jacob Schlesener
    GCL Cards off
    DSL Cards at Rockies: Hector Soto

PadsFS
    Participant

Flaherty day!! I’ll be watching this one.

PadsFS
    Participant

Bader has a very nice 20 HRs, 10 SBs line with a near .300/.350/.500 batting line.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Turn on MiLB.TV if you have it. Helsley carrying a no-hitter into the seventh at Corpus Christi.

bccran
    Participant

Great outing so far by Rodney.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Check that. With 91 pitches, no hits and five walks, Helsley was taken out before the seventh in favor of Pedro Echemendia.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

No no in the 9th now

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Wick gave up a long double with one out in the ninth to keep Springfield from its first-ever no-hitter. Cards still win, 7-0.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Bumped down from Memphis by Piscotty, Adolis Garcia has three HR, seven RBI in first two games back with Springfield.

Derek Shore
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Schlesener was on the verge of a another stellar outing tonight before rain: 3 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K. His previous outing he twirled six-no hit frames with 13 punchouts. Granted he’s 20-years old and in Rookie Ball still, but have to be a little impressed. Projectable left-handed starting pitchers do not grow on trees. He should definitely be in the prospect rankings this fall, especially since he has gotten his walks under control of late.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

We HAVE to make a major trade this winter and thin out some of our logjam of OFs and Ps. Do a multiple prospect/MLB players for a major upgrade. Whether we upgrade a position in the majors or acquire a top 10 prospect or 2, it doesn’t really matter to me.

Garcia looks like a great signing.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

I know I go on about gomber sometimes… But helsley is another one of those guys who keeps slipping through the cracks.

Pretty crazily weird when a guy with an era under 2.75 at aa at barely 23 (and a month) and who can dial it up to the high-mid 90s might not break our top 10 pitching prospects.

Not even sure I know what to say to that

Edit: will be easier with weaver graduated to be fair…

bccran
    Participant

Helsley and Mejia are both underrated.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Helsley is not underrated here, ranked in the top 20 and ahead of Gomber and Hicks, among other pitchers.

However at MLB, he is #24, behind them as well as Seijas, Jones and Oviedo.

Derek Shore
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Helsley has been impressive over the last two years. Touched 98 again tonight. Good curve. Still needs a reliable third pitch to remain a starter. Would be an exceptional power armed reliever.

bccran
    Participant

Seems to me that over the past year or so, Helsley has been pretty underrated. In the off season count down on TCN, where was he ranked? In the latest MLB.com rankings, he’s rated below Reyes,
    Flaherty, Hudson, Alcantara, Fernandez, Gallen, Hicks, Gomber, Woodford, Seijas, Jones, and Oviedo. Really? Rated below Jones? Who on the above list has outperformed him in the system statistically? That’s what I call being underrated.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    bccran
    Participant

Not just talking about TCN. Also talking about MLB, BA, etc.

14NyquisT
    Participant

bc…. many of the “experts” that rank prospects base their lists on “potential”. Examples of that are FANGRAPHS, which on 1/29/17 ranked the top 24 prospects plus a group of 18 that were also mentioned…. no Helsley at all. Prospects 1500 on 1/18/17 ranked Helsley 26th and MLB on 2/23/17 didn’t have Helsley in their top 30. That is underrating, perhaps because he came out of Northeastern State or because at the time his velocity was lower and that turns off some who believe velocity is a prerequisite for premier prospects.

BUT…. but the Community rankings right here on TCN put him at #13… the highest of all the lists that I used in an “Aggregate” list. That list had Helsley at #23 but he lost points with the above mentioned lists that skim over actual performance in favor of something called “potential”, a very subjective quality. This isn’t the only case of underrating…. there are others.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I actually had hope that Helsley would pull a Rosenthal and go from low A one season to STL the next.

If it were all stats, Pearce would also be ranked higher.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.