Minor league thread – Fri 4/20

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Minor league thread – Fri 4/20

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Memphis at Omaha: Daniel Poncedeleon
    Springfield at Arkansas: Sam Tewes
    Palm Beach at Charlotte: Austin Warner
    Peoria vs. Wisconsin: Johan Oviedo

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Looking for Warner to bounce back after his last start…which was really bad.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Monthly

System breaks a streak of 8 consecutive days of not having a losing day.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Would be nice to see Oviedo pick it up and show the promise that he seemed to have when he signed for such big money. Nice start last night for him.

Participant

Paid - Annual

An odd Oviedo stat. Derek had a tweet that says he threw 62 strikes out of 89 pitches. Yet he walked 5. Obviously the 5 guys that walk account for 20 balls. Seems odd that he would have only thrown 7 balls total to the rest of everyone else he faced.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Good eye, vegas. I looked at the game log. I thought maybe Oviedo was avoiding a hot hitter, but the walks went to five different batters. Two in the second, two in the third and one in the fifth. What I did find interesting is that he walked the leadoff man in all three of those innings, so perhaps he needed a few more pitches to get re-warmed up. Considering that, he was fortunate to get by with just one run in. As everyone already knows, leadoff walks often lead to trouble.

Game time temp was 63 with seven mph wind, so likely it was not the conditions.

Participant

I’m always telling pitchers from my living room box seat not to walk the lead-off man. When the count gets to three balls, sometimes they don’t listen and then get in trouble. Its a major pet peeve of mine.

Participant

Free

I thought the same thing VegasJim. I was trying to do the math in my head on how that would’ve worked.

Participant

Paid - Annual

With the deeper dive Brian did with 3 lead off walks and 2 sets of 2 walks bunched together in same inning. Back to start 1 when he walked something like 5 or 7 in one inning. Remember last year listening to a few of his innings. He did seem to hit some real wild streaks when he could not find the zone.

Hopefully just all part of a big talented guy trying to get his mechanics together and develop consistency.

Need the investment to pay off in the longer term.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years