Minor League Game Thread – Week of June 28-July 3

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Minor League Game Thread – Week of June 28-July 3

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Moises Gomez is finally promoted to Memphis.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Masyn Winn was taken out of the game tonight. Does anyone know if it was injury related?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

PadsFS
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Good to see Matz and Hicks back on the mound again.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

After being removed from last nights game and not playing today, has anyone heard any word on Winn?

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I know guys who throw short outings aren’t usually eligible for POTD but Tink Hence has to be considered for his work today…

3 IP (10 batters faced), 1 hit, 0 walks, 0 runs, 8 swinging strikeouts. He used only 37 pitches to get all 9 outs.

Bob Reed
    Participant

Free

“I know guys who throw short outings aren’t usually eligible for POTD but Tink Hence has to be considered for his work today… 3 IP (10 batters faced), 1 hit, 0 walks, 0 runs, 8 swinging strikeouts. He used only 37 pitches to get all 9 outs.”

Agreed 100%, 25. Tink was terrif again. Now with a 36-to-7 K/BB ratio in just 21 innings, and he’s holding opponents to a .164 slugging percentage. No kidding.

And just 37 pitches to get 9 outs, even though 8 were via strikeout? How is that even possible when the Mad Hungarian has told us 1,000 times that strikeouts unduly increase your pitch count so it’s better to pitch-to-contact? (I love Al, honest. After Gibson and Brock, he was the Cardinal hero of my childhood. The Fu Manchu, the glove-punching, I loved it all. But it’s not whiffs that drive up pitch counts. It’s walks. Those devil walks.)

———————————————-

He only went 2-for-2 tonight, but Jordan Walker rates a special mention because he has escaped his mini-slump by reaching base safely 9 straight times — and still counting. Two singles, three doubles, three walks, and a HBP over the past two nights. Walker has gotten some national attention (primarily at Baseball Prospectus, where he was correctly ranked in the top 10 overall prospects during the winter) but still not nearly enough by my lights.

For context, Jordan’s OPS is now 50 points higher than Nolan Gorman’s was last year for Springfield. And Walker is a full year younger than Gorman was in 2021. And he’s walking 28% more often than Gorman did. And Gorman struck out 30% more frequently in AA than Walker has. And Jordan is stealing bases. Now a dandy 15-of-18, in 63 games.

Thanks to his excellent 2021 performance, Nolan Gorman over the winter was a consensus top 25-35 prospect. (Well, except for Fangraphs who laughably ranked him 55th. Prospectus had him 28th, Pipeline 33rd, and BB America 34th.) So let’s do a head-to-head: Walker has the higher OPS, is substantially younger, makes markedly better contact, has distinctly more patience, and runs the bases better. Those five advantages dwarf Gorman’s very likely eventual MLB edge in defensive contribution.

Gunnar Henderson is the only prospect decisively preferable to Jordan Walker right now.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I would guess that Hence could improve the Cardinal bullpen right now thought it would not be best for his development.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Regarding Hence, I’d bet he will be brought up on every call when the Cards are trying to trade for pitching at the deadline. If they could have just traded for Manaea in March….

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Winn is in the Springfield lineup tonight thankfully.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Bob Reed
    Participant

Free

Weird game for Gordon Graceffo. Only one run in 5 2/3 innings (good!), but just two strikeouts against two walks (bad!). He induced 13 groundouts and there were no fly balls. The four hits were an infield single, two line-drive singles, and a lined double.

In any case, Graceffo has now permitted a Double-A slashline of .216/.248/.346. (For those who like round numbers, the overall league on-base percentage is exactly 100 points higher, at .348.) Is he trying to be more of a groundball guy? Or was this a one-off? I guess time’ll tell.

In other news, Samil De La Rosa looks kind of interesting. Gotta like little infielders with some pop in the bat.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

PadsFS
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Austin Love with a great performance tonight – likely a future reliever, but I like him as a prospect still.

Roberts had a good game too with no walks for once, maybe turning a corner?

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Playing against younger kids bits Roberts K/9 is up tremendosly.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Good to see Gomez in the highlights again. He’s been quiet his first few games in AAA.

bccran
    Participant

Can anyone explain why Blake Parker is taking a roster spot at Memphis?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.