Minor League Game Thread – Week of June 21-27

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Minor League Game Thread – Week of June 21-27

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

No starting pitchers for the new week yet.

Tuesday all night games:
    Mem at Indy – Jordan Hicks
    Spr at NW Ark – Kyle Leahy (3-6, 6.71)
    Peo at So Bend – Austin Love
    PB vs. St. Lucie – Tink Hence

Day games:
    FCL at Astros Blue – PPD until July 4
    DSL vs. Tigers 2 – Juan Salas

cardsfan64
    Participant

Free

I will be at the Memphis game in Indy tonight! Going to be a hot one, but It’s the only time the team will be close to home, so I will be going! Bummed that I won’t get to see the stud shortstop for Pirates since he was just called up to the majors. Looking forward to seeing our AAA team in person!

Lee
    Participant

Paid - Annual

cardsfan64m are you going to the day game tomorrow.?

CardsFan333
    Participant

Free

Does anyone know who is pitching tonight for Memphis?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Welcome, CardsFan333. My answer to your question is “no”, but it will be added to this thread as soon as we get it.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

cardsfan64
    Participant

Free

Lee, not going to be able to go tomorrow afternoon. Tonight’s game is the only one I am able to attend. Are you going Wednesday?

Lee
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Can’t make it either.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Lee
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Woodford looked really good yesterday. I did watch the game and his off speed stuff was great. So he is doing what OM wanted him to. It was a very strange situation that even the game announcers commented on: they had runners on 1st and 2nd, with 1 out, and the 1st baseman was playing up in the grass for some reason..? Of course then a grounder right towards 1st and he can’t get it… unless he is playing in a normal 1st base position off the bag and back, then its probably a double play. Bottom line is Woodford was in command of the game for 6 inngs. just bad defense on 1 play.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

In the month of June (79 PA) Malcolm Nunez has a 1.132 OPS and 6HR. After a beyond awful Apri and May, he’s raised his season line to .256/.379/.441 for an .820 OPS with 9HR’s. It seems like he’s been around for a long while, but he’s still just at the age of a top college player getting drafted next month.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I have noticed Nunez also. This is the guy who tore through the DSL like a house on fire then dropped off the radar for a couple of years. It is good to see him back.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

GScott, I’ve continued to follow him closely, always has been very young for his league. Winning the DSL Triple crown winner a few years ago is no small task at that age.
    Unfortunately, in the field it seems like he might be just a bit better than Yepez.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Good comp. Both Yepez and Nunez seem to be Allan Craig types.

Bob Reed
    Participant

Free

“In the month of June (79 PA) Malcolm Nunez has a 1.132 OPS and 6HR. After a beyond awful April and May, he’s raised his season line to .256/.379/.441 for an .820 OPS with 9HR’s.”

Thanks for providing the numbers, ChiTown. I knew he’d heated up, but didn’t realize how hot Nunez had gotten — or how low he’d sunk prior to that. He’s only a year older than Walker & Winn, the two youngest position players in all of Double-A last time I looked.

Nunez is too thick for any position other than DH or 1st base, but if he can maintain most of this superior patience at the plate (16% walk rate this year) and pop, say 20-22 homers per year, then he becomes a via MLB designated hitter along the lines of Yepez. But less slugging/batting average and more walks than Juan. At the very least, Nunez is certainly more of a viable trade sweetener than he was a month ago.

In other news, Alec Burleson with three more hits today including longball #15. (And don’t tell anyone, but he’s even drawing walks now. After just two free passes in 129 AB’s [May 11 – June 17], Burly has walked 8 times in his last 8 games.) It must be noted, though, that when Alec was walk-free, he was actually raising his OPS from .867 to .938! So indications are that he WAS making the right swing decisions, and/or excellent contact. He was just impatient/aggressive in a way that couldn’t work long-term. Certainly not at the MLB level.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years