Minor league free agency

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Minor league free agency

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The basic info on which Cardinals major and minor leaguers have become free agents (without my commentary) is included in a new Roster Matrix, always available for free.

https://thecardinalnation.com/cardinals-organization-roster-matrix-2017-2018-off-season/

For members, I have published an update to an earlier article which details who has re-signed and who has become a free agent as well as assessing the impact of both groups on 2018 rosters.

https://thecardinalnation.com/impact-of-departing-and-returning-cardinals-minor-league-free-agents/

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wonder if the Cards would have interest in bringing Dean Kiekhefer LHP back on a AAA contract?
    Looking at the Minor FA list i see a few guys who could possibly be of interest to the Cards .
    Bobby Wilson C 34 year old vet who has MLB experience and can be a emergency guy to fill the Alberto Rosario role at AAA and mentor Andrew Knizner.

Cody Ege LHp has MLB time in 2016 and could add LH depth at Memphis.
    O`Koyea Dickson 1B -OF Dodger minor FA who could offer pop at Memphis
    Rafael Ortega OF- i know he was here before but he had a fine season at AAA .Hit .317 and stole 29 bases and hits lefty and is still only 26.Might be a better prospect than Nick Martini who i think moves elsewhere.
    Mark Montgomery- RHP i sure would like to see him return and get a real shot.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Ortega is just 26? Seems he has been around forever!

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

My guess is that if the Cards and Montgomery both wanted to continue, he would have been signed with the others who are coming back. If I was him, I might want to try elsewhere, as he did not get a shot this year despite pitching well. Hard to imagine he could be much better in 2018.

Unless they trade a bunch of them, signing another outfielder for Memphis should be a very low priority, IMO.

PadsFS
    Participant

I don’t really see a need for LH relief pitching in Memphis. I don’t see Sherriff making the opening day roster. Then they will have Jordan Schafer and Corey Littrell in either Memphis or Springfield too. Then we have Lyons and Cecil pretty entrenched in the MLB bullpen.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t think you can have enough LH bullpen guys .Schafer is still older and trying to convert to a pitcher and he had injury problems.Littrell hasn’t been most reliable .Keikhefer is familiar to the Cards and Ege has MLB experience.I would rather have a guy who has been thru Big league games instead of a bad armed OF trying to do a reverse Ankiel.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Giltran is also still on the Memphis roster as a LH pitcher.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Why would any minor league FA outfielder want to sign here knowing their are about 5-6 minor leaguers ahead of him?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.