Miles Mikolas

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Miles Mikolas

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Jeff Passan reporting Cardinals sign P Miles Mikolas

Ken Rosenthal and and Jon Heyman reporting the deal is for 2 years and 15.5 Mil

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Sounds like he’s the guy the club is designating as Lance Lynn’s replacement. A low risk, below-the-radar option.

mbusappmbusapp
    Participant

Free

He had less than 3 years of service when he left for Japan, so he will be under team control beyond the 2 years of new contract.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yes, on team control – unless he specifically negotiated out of it as did Oh, for example. But even if the Cards have control, he will have to pitch well enough that they want to keep giving him salary increases (or at least cut it by no more than 20 percent).

At this point, both sides can only hope they are in a good place two years from now. Mikolas will be just 31 then, so could have additional runway ahead.

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

NOt impressed with his previous MLB stint. My guess is Maddox had a hand in getting him.

Participant

Nobody was impressed with his MLB results that’s why he went to Japan. The results in Japan are good.

Participant

Paid - Annual

He worked with Mike Maddux in Texas so he must have gotten positive reviews about his work in Japan.Many other teams were trying to sign him also.I don`t see any nrgatives about signing him.Cards have had pretty good success with players who played overseas so why not Mikolas?

Participant

Free

Honestly if he can pitch that well in japan he can pitch here.

People have bad first impressions it happens. Seems solid for the money involved.

Participant

Free

I am willing to give him a pass on his previous stint in MLB. He made it to the majors before his 24th birthday and struggled. He went over to Japan before he turned 27 and lowered his walks and allowed less hits/9 innings. He obviously must have something given a quick look at everything.

If nothing else, it gives us some starter depth.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

My friend Tristan H. Cockcroft of ESPN makes an interesting potential parallel between Colby Lewis and Mikolas.

https://www.espn.com/fantasy/baseball/story/_/id/21681112/fantasy-baseball-instant-fantasy-reaction-miles-mikolas-signing-st-louis-cardinals

Participant

Free

Is it possible that he pitched well in Japan because Japanese baseball is not as good as the major leagues?

Participant

Free

..umm.. Duh… But it indicates he can do some things.

This guy or brett cecil for the money?

Mikolas probably wins. Less money and he can probably at the very least get people out for an inning.

…and cecil might still end up being worth it.

…and before you say it nate… I am asking “where’s the beef?” too. Little signings like this can be a positive but well… Yeah.

Welcome him because he can probably help. Today is for him. Stanton or whoever (it had better be someone or several someones) won’t happen for a few days.

Participant

Free

Brian Walton
    Yes, on team control – unless he specifically negotiated out of it as did Oh, for example. But even if the Cards have control, he will have to pitch well enough that they want to keep giving him salary increases (or at least cut it by no more than 20 percent).

At this point, both sides can only hope they are in a good place two years from now. Mikolas will be just 31 then, so could have additional runway ahead.

That makes this a much more interesting signing. If we did catch lightning in a bottle, so to speak, then that makes the signing all the better. Getting a guy like this through his 31-33 years as well is excellent.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I doubt this guy is on par with Lance Lynn but he might be on par with Mike Leake. If so, he will come at a discount although we are still paying some on Leake for three more years.

I don’t have a problem with trading Wacha. You never know when his health issues are going to flare up again and he is really only a 5 inning pitcher as a starter.

Participant

(shrugging my shoulders) I guess this is the FO’s solution to rotation depth in ’18. I try to remain optimistic about the FO knowing what they are doing. I expected a pitcher with a more solid background, but I’ve followed this organization for some time now and this is what we usually get. Hey, imagine if Mikolas exceeds expectations. Think positive… think positive.

If the Cards feel that they can now trade Alcantara or Flaherty, that would totally upset me.

Participant

Free

Well, they are pretty much going to have to trade Alcantara or Flaherty in a deal with Miami or any other positional upgrade. That’s what teams want – pitching.

If you keep Wacha, and Reyes is on an innings limit, put Reyes as a piggy back on Wacha. Wacha is great the first two times through the order…Then Reyes comes in and shuts the other team down the rest of the way.

Participant

IMO, Flaherty is a potential #1/#2 starter. Must be off the table.

Participant

Free

There is generally a way to do that – package two lesser pitching prospects (say, Hudson + Alcantara).

The problem is, the Cardinals are very reluctant to give up multiple prospects in trades. And while we might think it is a no-brainer, the front office might not.

Participant

Free

Brian Noonan: Hello, Brian. I think it is a question worth asking. Whether it has “beef” or not is a matter of opinion. I think it was a worthwhile gamble to sign him. But, can he pitch successfully in the U.S.? Perhaps his success in Japan was because it is sub par baseball or perhaps he’ll shine over here. We can hope so. Good luck to him.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

No one seems to think Ohtani’s success in Japan is due to.poor competition.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

agreed CC…though his hype is also with his age and hitting prowess too…

still your point is well made

Participant

Free

Nate, it would help if you made more than snide comments about everyone that isnt a 6 WAR player.

Until you can do that you are going to get people who continue to smack you back down even when you are right.

Participant

Free

I don’t care about being smacked down, whatever that means.

If I was snide, well, that’s on the reader. The question needed to be asked. Players have been going to Japan because they are not good enough to play here for years. I think it’s reasonable to suspect that the level of play is second tier. If they were good they’d stay here.
    But he’ll have plenty of chances to prove he’s good anywhere when he plays next season.
    If he gets bombed then it is just another crap signing
    If he’s successful, well, then bully for the front office.

Participant

Free

You shouldnt care most of the time..

Problem is on this board you get routinely eaten alive by people who actually do research instead of making off the cuff snide comments like you are so fond of…

It makes you look dumb even when you are right. And frankly you seem to be right currently.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years