Matt Wieters free agent thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Matt Wieters free agent thread

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The A’s are also interested.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/athletics/article/A-s-taking-a-look-at-free-agent-catcher-Matt-14896685.php

GameCard
    Participant

Free

I like this move.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Why even have Knizner then? Wieters wasn’t that good last year. His defense was largely meh and the only thing he did well was prevent base stealers. Just give the job to Knizner or just trade him like you did Kelly. Knizner has nothing left to prove in Memphis and cutting a guy on the 40-man roster for Wieters is laughable.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Anne Rogers’ version is they want a backup “like they did with Wieters”.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I prefer Weiters as the backup, but it does keep Knizner at AAA for the most part, barring injuries to Molina or Weiters. But I like the lefty hitting Weiters brings, plus the veteran presence.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

I would like to see Knizner as the 26th man if Weiters is resigned. It is time to tell Yadi that he is no longer the Charles Atlas of catchers and that a backup needs some major league time. Knizer has a decent bat and, if I heard right, has played the infield in the past. Wieters had his moments and is well respected but I think he will be taken before Spring Training anyway.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Update… Cards still interested… And so are the As. Same as last month (see 1st post)…

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m kinda over Wieters. He really wasn’t that good. He had one hot streak early when Yadi was out. But after that and off the bench he wasn’t very dangerous.

I’d rather look elsewhere and give Knizmwr the reins of Yadi goes down.

I’d look for a few minor league invite backup catchers and see who sticks. Or better trade for a backup with some position flexibility.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Boy do I hope the A’s step up with an offer. I so do not want Wieters back for 2020.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

I do.

Oquendo11
    Participant

Free

I think many fans expectations for the backup catcher are too high.

No one that plays once a week is going to hit well.

Thinking the Cardinals will sit a healthy Molina half (or even a third of) the time is unrealistic. Not only because of their respect for Molina, but also because of the pitching staff’s desire to pitch to Molina.

If he is only going to play once a week, a good young catcher is better off, in the long run, playing almost everyday in AAA than sitting on the bench.

To me the Cardinals looking for a veteran catcher in no way diminishes their interest in Kinzer as Molina’s successor. On the contrary, it may be proof that they want Kinzer to be ready to play (almost) everyday should Molina get hurt during the year or retire (not get an extension) after the season. It is not about Knizer having anything to prove at AAA, it is about being in the best condition to play regularly for STL.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

I’m fine with Wieters coming back. Are there that many experienced catchers out there willing to play second violin?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Wieters was ok but Knizer needs to be in the big leagues, period. I am pulling for Billy Beane on this one.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

I like Weiters because he is a switch hitter. If Yadi is going to catch all the time Knizner needs to be playing at Memphis.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

<If he is only going to play once a week, a good young catcher is better off, in the long run, playing almost everyday in AAA than sitting on the bench. >

I have seen this a lot and at one time I was also a believer. Now I am not so sure. Playing everyday has its advantages but you are not seeing the hitters you will see in the majors, at least not in any large amount, so when you do finally come up you have to do a lot of homework to catch up on MLB batters. Tony Cruz was an excellent backup. He did not play much nor was he asked to but he went to every meeting with Yadi and looked darned efficient behind the plate when he got his chance. The big problem is unless Yadi is throttled back at least a bit we will never develop a backup catcher who can takeover when Yadi is gone. Most teams have two catchers and tend to rotate them fairly evenly. Not the Cards. It was put out very clearly by owner, FO and manager that whatever Yadi wants, Yadi gets and that means you check with Yadi to see if he is playing today (he is). That is the first thing that has to change at least a bit – others have noted some decrease in Yadi’s efficiency and he is getting to the point of having permanent injuries (thumb, knees). His injury to his junque was very serious and I was really surprised to see him return so early but IMHO the FO has to change their policy on getting a backup catcher in action more oftern.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Since Knizner is currently the replacement for when Yadi is gone, I would rather see him playing everyday in Memphis. Maybe he could be called up to the majors for interleague games. That would be a time where he could get some major league ABs to acclimate some more. He needs to work some more on his defense so the minors would be a good place to do that. When he comes up the majors, he can learn from Yadi and work on things when he goes back down.

That said, I would like to see Wieters re-signed. He did a VERY good job as the backup catcher. Some people may not realize that the pitching staff had a lower ERA with Wieters catching than with Yadi catching. (The pitching staff had an ERA a full run higher with Knizner behind the plate.) It can’t be called a small sample size either as Wieters caught 386 innings and Yadi caught 939 innings. Wieters also threw out 8 would-be base stealers, the same as Yadi. While the attempt rate would be higher with Wieters behind the plate, he still threw out 42%.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am in total agreement with what MM3 wrote there.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.