Marco Gonzales traded

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Marco Gonzales traded

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

for another Triple-A outfielder!

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

I guess he looks like a solid prospect, but really figured OF was the LAST dang position this team needed.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

Only makes sense with another deal coming.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

I really don’t understand that. I think Marco could have been a great reliever for us. Unless O’Neill is a great prospect or is part of another upcoming trade.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

Did a little more looking instead of reacting…

JUST turned 22 year old with some power at aaa… right handed power.

Still think this isnt the end of it but you give up a guy with an injury history for a position player with some power.

I dont think either team did badly here but marco was a little older with less team control. Marco should do well in safeco.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

O’Neill is the #29 prospect in the MLB.com list. There must be more trades coming soon.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

It does look better after looking at O’Neill’s page on the Mariners’ MLB top 30 prospect list. Now we just need to figure out our long term OF plans.

nbr1hawkeye
    Participant

Free

His bio says he was a catcher in HS. Would the Cards try to convert him back to catching at this stage of his development? Surely, the Mariners would have kept him there if he could have handled it.

Perhaps the reason will become more apparent in the next week or so.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

Funny how we had the same thought : Don’t think we are done.

Talent for talent probably fair trade when including control. The guy is a solid prospect. And Marco should start in safeco and do fine. I don’t see how we hold onto all of our outfielders at the deadline at this point though.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Great trade.Gonzales was probably going to end up in the bullpen in STlouis IMHO.Tyler O`Neill was Seattle #2 prospect so the FO did okay at first glance.Agree with most of you guys about this is just the 1st move with others still to happen.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

The more I read the more I agree with this.

He needs some development yet but he probably slots in behind reyes and kelly prospect wise… Which is impressive.

UConn Card

Paid - Annual

Gotta be at least one more shoe dropping after this trade.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

But looking at it from the Cardinals’ point of view, they don’t need to do anything, yet. This means J. Garcia, Bader and O’Neill in the OF at Memphis. Sierra, Arozarena and Mercado at Springfield. Any of the other OFs at those 2 teams are just fillers, IMO.

At the end of the year, they will have to do something, more than likely.

UConn Card

Paid - Annual

Good point.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

We don’t need OF help? That is the one place we need a serious upgrade. However, we don’t need more depth which is what this guy appears to be.

I’m guessing there may be a 40 man roster issue involved here also. Need a spot for Duke?

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

A 21/22 year old at aaa is more than depth… .800 ops despite major major struggles to start the year…

Dont get me wrong he isnt stanton… But he’s got legit power from the right side and was top 50 before the season for a reason.

The reason I said I dont think we are done is because I just don’t see us leaving that kind of backlog of outfielders until the offseason.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Having researched this guy more, this looks like a more than solid return for Gonzalez.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    TexasCard
    Participant

Free

I gotta agree this looks like a very good deal and more should be coming soon.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

O’Neill ops by month in aaa (he turned 22 in june)

April : .607
    May : .727
    June : .863
    July : 1.125

Yeah… I think we did fine. Possibly better than fine.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

I think the Cardinals clearly won this trade. This was the direction I thought they would go in last offseason – trading minor leaguers for minor leaguers because the acquisition cost for MLB players has gotten so high…

Now, the question becomes who gets traded as part of a larger package – O’Neill or Bader?

You’d have to think Grichuk will be traded soon…

Houstonlarry24
    Participant

Free

Really like the move here and this sure better not be the last one.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

I dont know if it is quite that clear cut. It has the potential to be but given that outfielders are significantly easier to find than lefty pitchers…

Marco has less team control and maybe a lower ceiling… Maybe… But in safeco… And he can definitely pitch for them in their wild card race RIGHT NOW…

It isnt quite as clear cut when you realize that.

We basically traded production two years from now for production today. O’Neill has enough talent we will probably be alright but stuff happens.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Guys been fast tracked a bit. The Mariners seem to want to challenge the guy. Hasn’t produced a high average at a couple stops but he’s learned to get on base a bit more. He’s does appear to like to grip and rip but he’s likely got more upside than Grichuk will ever show.

I also agree we can’t be finished. You don’t put a guy like this in your organization unless you intend to either play him at some point over someone you’ve got now or (and this is about a 5% chance) include him in a bigger deal.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

And yet, the Cardinals couldn’t find any suitable outfielders last offseason, so they gave Fowler $6 million per year more than he is worth….

Marco was not going anyhere in this organization and his ceiling is considered to be a #4/#5 starter…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.