Magic number actually 2?

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Magic number actually 2?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Gagliano
    Participant

Paid - Annual

All-

First, for old timers hello!

After the Saturday win, the magic number is listed as 3, but wouldn’t it be two? If they get two wins, they have at most 74 losses. If the Phils win out, the Phils end with 74 losses, too. But to do that they’d need to sweep Atlanta, which already has 72 losses, so if Philly is at 74 losses they win the division and the Cards beat out Atlanta (with at least 75 losses) for the 2nd wildcard….What am I missing here? Thanks!

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Welcome back Gags!! If the Cards win only two more and Atlanta and Philly tie for the division, would a game 163 loss eliminate that team from the wild card as well?

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Hello Gagliano,

What you’re saying is right (Cards’ magic number = 2), but where do you see the magic number for the Cards listed as 3? On the MLB site, I see the elimination number for the Phils listed as 3, which is correct, but I don’t see magic numbers listed there.

Gagliano
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Thanks, Bikemike! dunno the answer to your questions.

Euro–I was looking at the MLB, but I believe the TV team also said the magic number was three on their broadcast.

Gagliano
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Also, shouldn’t the elimination for the Phils on the MLB site be 2 then instead of 3?

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Also, shouldn’t the elimination for the Phils on the MLB site be 2 then instead of 3?

No, because if:
    1. Cards win 2 more & Phils lose no more, or
    2. Cards win 1 more & Phils lose 1 more, or
    3. Cards win no more & Phils lose 2 more
    Then Cards and Phils would be tied.

UConn Card

Paid - Annual

Hi Gags, good to see you!

Mrperkins
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Welcome back Gags!

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

HeHateMeToo here Gags. Hard to believe it’s been over 10 years. Hope all is going well for you in our nation’s capital and that you stick around awhile.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Welcome back, Gags!

Gagliano
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Thanks, Euro. I used to be able to do math.

So if I’m counting it right, for the Cards to clinch tomorrow (Sunday), 1) they need to win, so they finish with no more than 75 losses. 2) Cincy needs to win, so they will have at least 76 losses 3) Philly needs to win so they will end with at least 75 losses; and 4) Atlanta needs to lose, so that for Philly to get to 75 losses, they would have to sweep Atlanta, which would give Atlanta 76 losses.

And thanks all for the welcome back! I won’t be as frequent a poster as before, but looking forward to being here at least some!

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Gags, I think you nailed what it takes for the Cards to clinch Sunday. Assuming you meant to say Cincy and Philly lose. 😉

Gagliano
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yup. I need spring training for posting here again. It’s been a long offseason for me!

Gagliano
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If the Braves lose tonight and the Reds lose tomorrow, the Cards clinch the 2nd playoff spot, even if the MLB standings show a magic number of 1 for the Phils. That would be sort of amusing, though it would be fun to see the Cards clinch by winning that 17th in a row…..

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hello Gags, long time no see.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think it’s unofficially officially a done deal, gang. I never imagined in my wildest dreams that our boys would end up having an entire week to play video games and hang out at the local mall, prior to engaging in post season play.

1982 willie
    Participant

I’m not crowing til it’s a done deal.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Crown it Willie. If we blew a lead like this, I’d take a flying leap off the St. Louis Arch straight into the mighty Mississippi….and I hate heights. You know, heights never used to bother me. But it seems the older I get the more leery I become of them. When I was younger, I’d go out of my way to go speeding over the Skyway bridge in St. Pete, when visiting the area. Now I experience queeziness just going over the Mississippi river bridge from Wisconsin to Dubuque. Anyone else have this issue?

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cards are at 99.9% chance to make it to the playoffs now, I believe. Which is an unbelievable turnaround. Here’s hoping the win comes against the Brewers and the Cards can celebrate in front of the home crowd. There is a decent shot this team wins 90 games which is what many predicted at the start of the whole thing. Most didn’t predict it in the fashion it did, however. Crazy!

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Two ways for the Cards to clinch now:

1. Win at least one more game.

or if the Cards lose out:

2a. Cincy loses at least one more, and
    2b. Either Philly loses at least one more or Atl loses at least one of their 3 games vs NYM.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Gags!

Wowza! Welcome back!

1982 willie
    Participant

Pugsley I have that issue of heights but bridges don’t really bother me much. I didn’t used to have it but I fell free climbing. Wasn’t real far but it was enough to mess up my gyros up high.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Indeed, free climbing falls can really mess you up, Willie. My unfortunate newfound fear is driving off a bridge into a watery grave. It happens. What a way to go. But it has been said that drowning is not really a bad way to go. I guess when you start losing oxygen to your brain, a feeling of euphoria sets in. Anyway, speaking of both lofty heights and staying on track, it’s truly amazing that the Pads are most likely going to trail our Birds by 10+ games by season’s end. Wonder what kind of odds you could have received on that in Vegas 30 days ago? Nothing short of 100,000-1. It’s going to be interesting to see how Shildt plays it over this last week with the playoff slot already locked in……except for who our WC opponent will be.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

I don’t see how even our early season mediocre birds could crash so precipitously to lose the wild card. Can they keep up their winning ways once in the playoff? Now that’s a horse of another color.

Speaking of crashes and heights, I learned to fly back in the early 70s and the heights didn’t bother me much, but I still can’t stand close to the observation deck railing of high buildings or mountain overlooks without getting a tightening sensation you know where.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

The new magic number is 12.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.