Logan Morrison free agent thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Logan Morrison free agent thread

Viewing 23 posts - 26 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Morrison would be a nice complimentary acquisition. I agree that a platoon with Martinez would be good. Now if he is the centerpiece acquisition for the winter that would be very disappointing.

Jager, I like all of the players you want to obtain but it would require a $300M payroll. Not even the Dodgers would do that. We have to make choices. Can’t have everybody.

As for Matt Adams, there seems to be a lot of revisionist history regarding him. He was a solid, average, platoon type player who was never going to blossom into anything more than that. Just because he hit a playoff homerun off Kershaw some fans remember him as Babe Ruth. He wasn’t so let’s calm down about him. Trading him wasn’t a big loss. He will be on the bench in Atlanta.

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Well Pads you’re going to hear me say it because its true. Adams only had 1/2 of the amount of bats as Morrison so its relative. Adams had a higher batting average than Morrison and he he 20 HR. Adams also had a slightly higher slugging % while Morrison had a higher OBP. So don’t act like my statement was ridiculous.

I cannot understand the posters here saying they want Morrison on the team. Its laughable. I don’t understand the content for mediocrity here. We all said we want impact players but then some throw their support for Morrison when we have a dozen Morrison type players on the team already. Makes zero sense.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

I’m with you BHC!

Participant

Free

Has nothing to do with wanting mediocrity.

Has to do with wanting incremental improvement… On top of the large ones.

I want stanton. I’m indifferent on morrison but I can see the logic… Thus I will say something positive.

Nothing more nothing less.

If stanton is our entire offseason I will be extremely disappointed. Even if we get stanton we have to probably dump fowler and others. That outfield is crowded.

Participant

Free

BlackHillsCard

Well Pads you’re going to hear me say it because its true. Adams only had 1/2 of the amount of bats as Morrison so its relative. Adams had a higher batting average than Morrison and he he 20 HR. Adams also had a slightly higher slugging % while Morrison had a higher OBP. So don’t act like my statement was ridiculous.

The thing is, Adam’s immediately gets exposed with that amount of playing time. You can’t extrapolate his PAs out to 600 and expect the same performance. He has to play almost exclusively against RH pitchers now (putting up a .200 point less OPS vs. RH pitching as opposed to Morrison) and he’s extremely streaky (10 HRs out of 20 in 1 month). He also mashed the ball at home with an .869 OPS in ATL vs. a .656 OPS at Busch this year.

I didn’t say I liked Morrison (especially with the current team), but he would be a massive upgrade over 2017 Adams if used in a correct platoon w/Martinez (which Adams wasn’t even used correctly like that anyway)

Participant

Free

Yes, my ideal offseason would include Stanton (or Donaldson) plus another solid infielder while trading our surplus outfield if any remain for some pitching like Colome or Herrera or a starter. Then signing two bullpen guys in Reed and Nicasio.

I saw Mozeliak said that Reyes may open in bullpen and Alcantara may end up there if they aren’t traded of course.

Participant

Free

Nate, here is the definition of troll according to Merriam-Webster online dictionary:

to harass, criticize, or antagonize (someone) especially by provocatively disparaging or mocking public statements, postings, or acts.

It sure looks to me that a majority of your posts fall under that definition.

I am glad you included some ideas in your post but you know they are unrealistic for any team. The payroll that it would take to field your team would be the highest ever seen and impossible. Also, there is no baseball organization that would have the trade chips to complete all those trades and still be competitive. While it would be nice to trade for Stanton and Votto, and then sign Arrieta or Darvish and Davis, it’s not going to happen. Why don’t we just speak in reality about something constructive.

Now, back to Morrison.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Brianp, you say you will be disappointed if Stanton is our only move. The fear others have is that Morrison will be the only move (or at least the only bat move). That would be disappointment!

Participant

Free

At this point it would be par for the course. Hard to get worked up when they do the same thing every winter and say “the guy cost too much”… Even if they are right more often than not.

I will say what I said from the start — this makes no sense if they keep carpenter. None.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Morrison had a career year. I fear this could turn out to be a scenario where the buyer is getting a player after they have had the best year they will ever have.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I will say what I said from the start — this makes no sense if they keep carpenter. None.

Agree. The only reason to think about bringing Morrison aboard is if it is in conjunction with another deal. Sort of like when Whitey acquired Rollie Fingers and Bruce Sutter, then later moved Fingers in another transaction.

If we sign Morrison, then the club must have a committed deal that includes Carpenter going somewhere.

Participant

Free

Forsch:

I don’t antagonize anyone deliberately unless they have a thin skin. I criticize the owners for doing nothing.

They could get some of those players I proposed. Stanton, Votto and Darvish. Would it mean a high payroll? Yes but two years ago Forbes listed their profit as 70 million dollars, which means they are making a fortune every year and that is before this new TV money. They have hundred of millions of dollars sitting there waiting to be spent and plenty of prospects to use in trades.They have more than enough resources so that is not a usable excuse. It’s a question of whether the owners want to spend BIG to make the team WS worthy or count their money.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Agree. The only reason to think about bringing Morrison aboard is if it is in conjunction with another deal. Sort of like when Whitey acquired Rollie Fingers and Bruce Sutter, then later moved Fingers in another transaction.

If we sign Morrison, then the club must have a committed deal that includes Carpenter going somewhere.

Maybe or they could always keep Carp and move Wong or Gyroko. There are many many scenarios that could play out.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

-Stanton AND the Marlins have to agree to a trade, there are no guarantees the Cardinals can do anything about that…that has nothign to do with money unless you are willing to eat all of Chen, Gordon, Ziegler, Volquez, and Prado too….and even then it is no guarantee a deal could happen

-Votto has stated publicly several times he does not want to leave the Reds…and the Reds havent indicated they want to try to move him anyways…. again not about spending money in any way…

-Darvish IS about money…but are you going to be happy when it takes a 7 year deal 28m per year deal to land him or convince him to come to the Cardinals? so sure …it is about the money…but he also has to want to pick us…and convincing someone to come here by outspending usually means taking gambles on money that undoubtedly Nate would then just complain about later as being crippling…calling Yu, Stanton, and Votto slugs and we should eat the money and dump them after they have a bad month

so 2 of the big 3 acquisitions Nate says we can easily get are not even in the control of the management…

it takes two to tango in trades AND in FA signings…and if you want to try to sidestep that equation by spending more money or whatever then you are forced into positions where you give up far more than you want… that is why you have to find a suitable trade partner or FA target where you can work out a deal that may be fair to both teams…or at least one team loses/wins by a small margin

I want Stanton…i think he is getable…i think the money we have makes a deal for him attainable…combined with our prospects and young MLBers we definitely should be able to best any offer from other teams unless they go crazy..

but this is about Morrison…

Morrison on short deal + trade for Abreu…that adds some fear…but i think CWS thinks they can get another Eaton or Quintana deal for Abreu and it will cost too much for 2 yrs…. and MOrrison i dont think will take anything shorter than 4 yrs….

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Morrison and Abreu both? How many first basemen/DHers do you want, Jager? 😉

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

i understand…i guess i was till thinking Logan could play LF or RF…but it was 2014 since he did that…guess i dont watch enough TB games to pay attention to his spot on the field

and i dont really “want” him at all …just thinking about the idea of what it woudl take to equal the fear we are trying to acquire with Stanton…

maybe Morrison + Garcia from CWs? thats really is uninspiring…MOrrison + CarGO? ugh.. Morrison + MOose? better but nah… Morrison plus Donaldson….yeah…but the price on Donaldson for 1 yr will be lame…

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Bumping this up to the current discussion as the result of Ankiel 2.0’s post on the Rumors thread.

Would you displace RHH Martinez from the bench to make room for the LHH Morrison? You would almost have to, it seems.

Would there be enough incremental value in Morrison’s left-handedness to be worth the additional cost in dollars and in a 40-man roster spot compared to the guy they already have in Martinez? I am not so sure.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

With an 8man bullpen I just dont see how you make it work

Kelly
    Garcia
    JMart

All seem locked in no matter what

The extra player seems down to Bader or maybe O’Neil depending what way they go

You could argue that Logan would fit if you are willing to play Fowler and Ozuna in CF often but if not we need another cfer

If Garcia was replaced with a guy like Chris Owings who could hold down Backup CF and backup SS I could see it

And as was said Logan coming means someone going from the 40man. Mayers or Valera seem to be the guys up next but both seem to have the eye of the front office with recent play in winter for Mayers and The Valera comment a by Moz

IMO Bader has to lose the last byear much spot. Now I think for the first game and week where we have an extra bench player that spot might be up for competition. With Valera the inside guy it seems now. Though Voit and O’Neill probably have a shot too.

Logan makes a lot of sense but since he doesn’t play outfield anymore his lack of versatility makes him tough to slot into a 4 man bench

Participant

Paid - Annual

The only way it works is if Fowler and Ozuna become the backup CF or Gyroko or Garcia are traded with the other one being the super sub IF.

I really like the idea of a Morrison/JMart platoon at 1B but I realize it is highly unlikely. I think Mo is done for the winter. Most likely Morrison goes to KC and Hosmer goes to SD.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Right. There is no way to fit Morrison and Martinez on the same roster without trades that never seemed likely and are less so by the day.

Participant

Paid - Annual

With Hosmer now in SD we can officially begin the Morrison to KC countdown clock although I suppose there is slight chance he ends up in Boston if they whiff on JD Martinez.

Participant

The Twins and free agent first baseman Logan Morrison have agreed to a deal, pending a physical, Jon Morosi of MLB.com reports on Twitter. It’s a one-year, $6.5MM guarantee with escalators and a vesting option that could make it a two-year, $16.5MM pact

Participant

Free

So do he and Mauer split time at 1B/DH? Looks that way in paper.

Viewing 23 posts - 26 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years