Let’s overreact!

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Let’s overreact!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Hammerfist
    Participant

Free

1. Genesis walking guys was eyebrow raising but even more so I thought was his velo was 94-95.

2. Helsley whoa. If he’s right, he’s a dude.

3. Great on the club for letting Hombre DH however that went how we all expected vs a right hander.

4. Bader’s double came on a pitch he swung at and missed frequently last year.

5. PDJ…….I dunno.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Pujols swung the bat well, probably would have had same results vs left handed pitching. People need to learn to quit looking at results.

Hammerfist
    Participant

Free

I don’t think he looked particularly good. He hit one ball fairly hard and looking at his splits from the last few years it’s clear he’s not a good vs RH pitching. Why else would the club go out and get Dickerson? It was fun and understandable on opening day but enough.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well like I said, results like hitting the ball hard don’t always tell the story. While I trust my eyes, I’ll also take jimmy ballgames assessment. He’s not a tool who will just speak the Cardinals line. It’s obvious because of dh, Dickerson or others are going to have to do also. There isn’t the same amount of pinch hitting opportunities. Plus you get Dickerson, one because he’s a lefty, two because injuries happen.

Hammerfist
    Participant

Free

What exactly is the point or argument you’re attempting to make? That OM should just leave Albert as the every day DH regardless of the matchup? Weird flex man.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I didn’t say that in my post in fact I said that they pretty much have to use other people just because there are less normal pinch hitting opportunities for everyone on bench. My point is that Albert looked fine far as his swing, just mainly timing issues. Which can be somewhat attributed to the lock out and the late signing. What pujols did last year, two years ago, or 15 years ago doesn’t matter. Having him on the team has created some buzz. If he shows he can hit well enough vs both sides, it benefits the team to have him in there more often than not. If he doesn’t show that, then his role will be limited I would say. Right now we don’t know if dickerson is going to hit well either. Same as with pujols, what he has done before doesn’t really matter. If he was really top notch, I think he wouldn’t be moving around as much. But we will see.

Oliver
    Participant

Free

They won against a really bad team and they need to do that. Good start.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Last season with L.A. albert showed he still has enough left to be useful vs. lefties. He will be OK when he is feeling OK. If he is gimped up, hobbling around, sore this and that, it will be pretty ugly.

PDJ, I have little to no hope for anything good, but hope I am proven wrong.

I don’t know if Helsley is being looked at as a possible late inning guy and was given a look in a low leverage situation, or if he is a mop up guy.

Little else can be said after one game, and that against the Pirates. We will know more after a few games against good teams. Hopefully, after last season, there will be a short leash on pitchers who don’t throw strikes.

Hammerfist
    Participant

Free

I wonder if the Hicks decision had more to do with Helsley than it did Hicks. His stuff looked electric.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Helsley has been an enigma. He looks great at times but is just as likely to be bad. Hard to say what their plans are now, probably just felling things out. Remember this is a new coach

sjeff70
    Participant

Free

Jimmy thought Pujols was jumpy at the plate (cheating a bit). It must be difficult fulfilling expectations the fans have for him. He’ll calm down.

Love when Jimmy is doing the broadcast. Provides so much insight into the game like no one else on TV. It makes all of other guys look like cool-aid drinkers and silver liners.

And this year leave Horton on the radio where his love of talk can shine. I’d be willing to bet his wife doesn’t let him talk at home. Now if we could just get Dan to pay more attention to the game at hand…

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

Pujols had three of the hardest hit balls of the game, including one with an exit velocity of 106 mph. For one day, he looked good even if his results did not.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I have never been overly impressed with Helsley. My take is he got the 9th inning because we were up 9-0 against the worst team in the NL. I doubt we see him in high leverage situations.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Edmonds is a terrible announcer. He’s right there with Joe Morgan. Dull and boring. Bring back Hrabosky.

r/Esteemed Rat

Hammerfist
    Participant

Free

Wow!! You think he’s terrible? I think he’s truly outstanding.

And we’ll plenty of Helsley in high leverage situations. His stuff is too good.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Joe Morgan dull, hard to believe a real baseball fan would say that. Him and miller is the best baseball announcers ever and it’s not even close. Far as Al goes, I like Al but Al only knows pitching. I liked Al but I prefer more knowledgeable guys in the booth.

Hammerfist
    Participant

Free

Helsley = Electric.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If Helsley can maintain control of the strike zone he can be effective. Otherwise he is a AAAA pitcher. Looked good today. We will see throughout the year if he can be consistent.

Hammerfist
    Participant

Free

Helsley = Set up guy with closer stuff. Welcome to the party, pal.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I have been at the party for many years pal. If Helsley turns out to be a legitimate setup guy then that will be great but I am going to need more evidence than two games against the worst team in the NL. Thus far his career has consisted of being a hard thrower with spotty success but maybe this is the year he puts it together. We can hope.

Hammerfist
    Participant

Free

I’m sure you heard during today’s game that he only gave up 4 runs on 31 inherited runners last year. This year he’s hitting triple digits and painting the corners. Slider looks great too.

Ryan “Put some respect on my name” Helsley. We’ve got ourselves a legitimate late innings stopper.

Welcome to party, pal.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Funny. Two games vs the Pirates has to be taken with a grain of salt. Let’s hope Helesley continues to look good and PDJ continues to hit homers.

One thing I noticed about today’s game was that a lot of pitchers on both sides were up in the zone a lot. Maybe the somewhat chilly weather. Helesley got that final K with heat at the knees.

It will be fun to see how the rest of the rotation looks.

Hammerfist
    Participant

Free

I mean, the word “overreact” is in the thread title…

And obviously the powers that be must feel confident with Helsley too letting Garcia walk and moving Hicks to a starting role.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Helsley was pretty good in 2019 but 2020 was worse and 2021 was borderline awful as his BB/9 and ERA exploded.

If he can replicate 2019 most Cardinal fans would take that.

Personally, I favor Whitley to have more of a breakout year.

Hammerfist
    Participant

Free

Oh I’m very high on Whitley too. Seems like no one ever makes hard contact off him. The way he finished last year was super encouraging.

I like this bullpen.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.