LaRocque Mets GM candidate

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum LaRocque Mets GM candidate

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Free

Kind of old isn’t he?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Well, he is not a 35-year old Harvard-educated MBA. The article linked to above suggests Mets ownership may lean toward a baseball lifer like the prior GM who had to leave the job for health reasons, Sandy Alderson.

Participant

Paid - Annual

65 is the new 45….or so they say, Booyah. Hard to believe that from 1500-1800 the average life expectancy was between 30-40 years of age. Doctors did not even start washing their hands before surgeries until right around the year 1850. We’ve come a long way! I think Gary LaRocque has a bright future ahead of him…..as long as he refrains from swimming up off the coast of Cape Cod if he were to get the Mets gig, as there has been some huge great white sightings in shallow waters of late.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

One Mets minor league writer, who first met LaRocque in 2001, believes he is the man for the Mets GM job.

Gary LaRocque Is Perfect Man For The Mets GM Job

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

LaRocque reportedly still in the hunt, though in today’s market, his age and experience may actually work against him.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Free

LaRocque has flown under the radar for years and that’s unfair because he has done an amazing job with our farm system. Our player development is second to none and it’s largely due to his expertise. This will be a huge loss for the Cardinal org.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I read one story out of New York that brought up some pros and cons both. It noted that Mets owner Fred Wilpon favors Dodgers’-trained individuals, which LaRocque is. (Maybe that figured into why he was hired by the Mets in the first place.) It also made the interesting point that LaRocque’s prior jobs have not included contract negotiations.

No one seems to know how the Mets hiring process will play out. The place seems like an organizational mess.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Just because the NY press is not clued in to how the Mets are choosing their GM or how duties will be distributed does not mean that the situation is a mess.

As far as I know, Lunhow also had no previous contract negotiation or experience making trades prior to taking the Astros job.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I am guessing that if you have followed the Mets ownership and front office situation over time – not just now – you would not question my characterization of it as a mess. In fact, that is the exact word used in the NY Post article headline from this morning.

Fair point about Luhnow, though I do not know whether or not Mo included him in the inner circle in their internal front office discussions on player acquisition and contact matters. Either way, I was simply reporting what the article said, referencing four unnamed “prominent agents”. It was not viewed as fatal to LaRocque’s chances, but an area of contrast between him and other reported candidates.

Not sure why you’d defend the Mets organization, but read for yourself.

“Empty vows, Alderson back-stab: Inside Mets’ GM search mess”

Now that Jeffrey Loria is finally out of the game, I am not sure which is considered MLB’s worst owners – the Wilpons or Peter Angelos of the Orioles.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Telling piece out of New York on LaRocque as the Mets’ continue to conduct their GM interviews:

https://www.sny.tv/mets/news/as-mets-gm-search-gets-serious-heres-what-baseball-folks-are-saying-about-the-candidates-like-gary-larocque/298139868

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Wow, that SNY article seems strong. I will comment on one part that I especially disagree with. TLR interviewed him for the GM job in Arizona because he thought Gary was a good candidate. Gary surely interviewed because he wanted the plum promotion. TLR gave the GM job to Dave Stewart instead, but offered Gary another job that he said was equivalent to a GM, but it was not. Gary bowed out. For this writer to suggest Gary was a GM candidate in AZ as leverage just to get a multi-year extension from the Cardinals makes no sense at all. None.

One thing the quote in the article did remind me of is the heavy politics in the Mets front office. It was clear at least one peer did not respect Gary, but what can you draw from one person’s opinion? A whole article, I guess.

The thing that may have been most interesting to me is that it is running on the team’s television partner’s website. Can you imagine what would happen if a piece like this appeared on FOX Sports Midwest’s site?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

NY radio is reporting that LaRocque won’t get a second interview.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years