Jose Fermin – AAA Shortstop

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Jose Fermin – AAA Shortstop

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    bccran
    Participant

23 year old was just acquired from Cleveland for cash. Excellent defensive SS who had a poor season at the plate in 2022, but has hit in the past. Precursor to possible DeJong trade?

GameCard
    Participant

Free

The Cardinals need a utility infielder to serve as a backup at 2B, SS & 3B if DeJong is not retained.

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Interesting write up from MLB Trade Rumors: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/st-louis-cardinals

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Is this Fermin guy supposed to be really good?

GameCard
    Participant

Free

He is a need if you let DeJong leave.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

I thought maybe Fermin was really good and would amp up the competition for Eddie…

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Fermin is a back-up utility player at 2B, SS & 3B…that is all.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    1982 willie
    Participant

Seems like a wasted move unless you are letting dejong go. Even then doesn’t make us any better.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Apparently Johnny thinks this Fermin guy is really good. Why else would he have paid cash for him? I mean, money’s tight right now…

GameCard
    Participant

Free

It is not a wasted move…there is a need for a reserve infielder.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

What do we make of Fermin’s .235 BABiP this year?

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Is .235 good? And if not, would that be a number that Johnny would consider before paying cash money for a player? I mean, I know DeWitt Jr. likes him and all, but if Mrs. 1TD foolishly throws my money around, it makes me sad…

bccran
    Participant

He’s hit okay in the past. Here was his line in the MIdwest League in 2019 when he was 20 years old –

.293/.374/.379/.753

And in 2021 when his time was split between AA and AAA –

.261/.332/.395/.728

Was an All Star defensively.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

A BABiP significantly below .300 is often said to signify bad luck by the hitter, or BABiP against significantly below .300 signifying good luck by a pitcher. It is often said that BABiP will gravitate back toward .300 and so a low BA by the batter will go up, or good results by the pitcher will go down. This has been mentioned in the case of Parsons, whose BABiP against was .200 this season. So the common wisdom would be that that Parsons is not really that good and Fermin is not really that bad.

I personally think that BABiP has little to do with luck so that is all a steaming pile.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.