Molina injury – Jose De Jesus Ortiz on Twitter….

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Molina injury – Jose De Jesus Ortiz on Twitter….

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    858booyah
    Participant

Free

Reporting a rumored devastating injury for the Cardinals. Any insight or is he blowing smoke up our rears and this is just someene being out a month.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

For what its worth, the previous Tweet in the Ortiz string appears to be from Yadi’s brother, Bengie.

https://twitter.com/OrtizKicks?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Carson Kelly was scratched in Memphis’ game tonight and made his way to St. Louis.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Some columnists deploy hyperbole to draw attention. Others may believe what they write. Personally, I would not call a month “devastating”. For me, that would mean a season-ending injury, but it is surely damaging at least – especially if Kelly doesn’t show an upturn in his hitting. Molina had been doing a nice job at the plate this season.

It certainly looks like Kelly will be receiving his first extended opportunity to show what he can do – assuming the manager puts his name on the lineup card regularly. It should also open the door for Andrew Knizner at Memphis, perhaps clarifying the catcher pecking order ahead.

grayssportsalmanacc
    Participant

Free

Im far from a doctor but being back behind a plate and playing baseball a month after a groin surgery sounds incredibly optimistic, hope im wrong.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Well from a personal standpoint having to undergo testicle surgery would be devastating, but I agree that from a team perspective I wouldn’t call it devastating. This could be a huge blow to the team (in so many aspects), especially if Kelly’s bat doesn’t show up. He had not hit well in Memphis.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Not only is “devastating” way too dramatic for losing Yadi a month, it might actually work out better in the long run. Having Yadi out for a month should in theory anyway, make him stronger over the second half of the season.

Kelly has not hit much in the last year plus, so it will be interesting to see how he does with a chance against the big boys for awhile. Then again, he might split time with Pena.

And as Brian states, a good chance for Knizner to show what he can do in AAA.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Derek Shore just tipped me off that Jesse Jenner is heading to Memphis instead of Knizner. Very curious. I updated the above article to reflect this.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Kelly just needs to play solid defense.I think his hitting will come around .Worry about defense and handling the pitchers first.MM will probably bat him 8th so he won`t get a lot of good pitchers to hit.

PadsFS
    Participant

Kelly’s K/BB ratio’s are still elite in AAA this year. If he can carry that over, we’ll be fine.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Kelly hasn’t been good for about a year but here’s his chance to make an impression. Play good D and hit a little and he becomes a trade chip later.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

Does seem strange they are not promoting Knizner

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Why the trade chip nonsense people? Its not like Kelly is 25-26 years old and fading .Molina getting hurt just showed why haaving Kelly around was and is still the smart play.You want to play Frank Lane? THen trade Fowler who plainly is way underperforming his mistake of a contract.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Perhaps… just maybe…. if Molina was open to taking some days off and allowing a young developing catcher, in this case Kelly, to play some MLB games to see if he was ready, we wouldn’t be in this situation of evaluating him when he is the only feasible option.

Matheny’s allowing Yadi to decide when he plays sets a very bad precedent. If you let him make that decision, in fairness, you would have to allow the same to others. It appears Molina has a huge ego and feels that if he plays when he says so, he can turn back the time and be 29 again… to prove to himself that he isn’t growing older. At 35, most people suggest that it is prudent for him to get more days off so that he can stay fresher throughout the entire grinding season…. for the good of the team.

IMO the three year contract seems to have empowered him to be above the manager.

I know that as of yesterday, Molina was the best option to play. He is the best catcher in the organization. But for C-sake he should be a team player, its not all about Yadi.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Trading Kelly talk is hardly nonsense. There’s another guy who may be just as good right behind him. I didn’t say they should trade him right now, but down the road it makes sense to explore it.

Now trading Fowler…that’s nonsense talk. He would have to approve it and he has very little to no value to an opposing team. To think that it will happen is pure fantasy stuff.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I hate that Yadi is out for a month but I’m excited to see what Kelly can do everyday without looking over his shoulder. This is his big chance.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Fowler will need to stay with the Cards, but it should be as a fourth OF. Hitting at a .150 clip is flat out unacceptable. Let him collect his big salary on the bench, four more years of this too. Total loss of money that should have been used for productive players. Big miscalculation by Mozeliak. The Card’s savior has turned into an albatross. Flush.

PadsFS
    Participant

Trading Fowler would be selling low and I could see a team requiring us to eat almost the entire contract. He has nearly 10 years of history telling us that he will turn it around and I believe he will. His BABIP is way down from last year, although, unlike Carpenter who had no red flags in his batted ball data, Fowler’s Hard-hit % has dropped 6% from last year (as his LD% has fallen to a career-low) I’m hoping that’s just the small sample size talking. He carried us last September.

PadsFS
    Participant

I haven’t been following Springfield much. I had no idea Knizner was hitting as well as he has.

A batting line of .382/.460/.539/.999 Wow. Plus he is walking at a slightly above-average pace with more walks than Ks.

After throwing out 23 of 51 would-be base-stealers last year, he has only throw 2 out of 16 this year. What’s that about?

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Fowler might have 10 years of so-called production in his past but he is replaceable in STlouis.Mistake contract IMHO.One thing the Cards do havve are capable OF replacements in the system.Fowler isn`t hitting,fielding or stealing bases……….so WTH is he here for? Last one in …first one out …?

Derek Shore
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t think this affects how the organization views Knizner at all by not promoting him to Triple-A. His defense is clearly behind his offense still but his approach to hitting is at a different level this year. Defensively, he has good hands, frames well, and calls a good game. His timeline is probably more conducive to replacing Molina. However, this is a good opportunity to see exactly what the Cardinals have in Kelly.

PadsFS
    Participant

Yeah this will be a great opportunity to showcase Kelly while Knizner matures.

I know Brian Poonan is high as a kite on Kelly, but I don’t mind trading him down the line helping another team as long as we get back fair value. The Piscotty trade comes to mind (although he is doing worse in OAK than he was last year in STL now that his BB-ability has abandoned him to go with his hitting)

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If Carson can play Tony Cruz type D he at least keeps Pena benched.
    Carsons’ bat? I don’t believe in it, and if another club wants to overpay for Carson……fine. D first catchers are not hard to come by.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.