Joel Sherman Suggests the Cardinals Should Trade Carlos Martinez

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Joel Sherman Suggests the Cardinals Should Trade Carlos Martinez

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

https://nypost.com/2017/07/09/the-aces-who-could-surprisingly-juice-up-mlb-trade-deadline/

Would you trade Martinez if he brought back a prospect haul bigger than Sale?

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

I’m not sure that I’d say that I’d never trade him…though I wouldn’t trade him for just anybody…and we’d have to hope that a certain pitcher comes back strong from Tommy Jon surgery…now if we got a big haul…I’d at least give it a bit of thought…

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We don’t need more prospects. We need an impact player like Stanton, or Donaldson. Trading Martinez is like tanking and going for a complete reconstruction. Tanking is overrated, IMO. Teams that tank like the Padres and the Braves seem to take forever to get themselves back into contention. I got the impression last year that when Reyes was up, simply by virtue of his talent, he got Martinez to elevate game. I’m hoping for that to happen again next year.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Bigger than Sale? I’d do it. But it won’t happen. Worst case that haul could be flipped for a big bat.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

I thought about this a bit while saying that we could deal ten or so players and not bat an eye due to depth.

This one WOULD hurt us for two or three years. And it is difficult to give that up.

Now… If the yankees went and offered us torres frazier rutherford and mateo for martinez and carpenter?

Ears and eyes would open pretty quick.

I guess what im saying is I cant justify it unless we get a mint.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would contend that the team isn’t going to wait 3 more years to contend again and will probably be back at it as soon as next year. To trade Martinez would be silly and guarantee at least a three year turnaround. I can’t see that happening.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

With the front office we have now and the clueless manager running things it could be three years before they are serious as contenders again

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

What do you think about the Cubs front office and their field manager? Epstein has committed $250M to player batting .254 with 6 HR’s in half a season, and there is not much pitching anywhere in their system. And Maddon has a team of world champions that can’t even win half of their games. I’m not a fan of MM because of his handling of the lineups, and because his teams’ poor defense and bad baserunning which, I believe, are the fault of the manager and his staff. But would his replacement be any better?

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

I agree and I dont see why we should have to do so.

The one exception as I mentioned is if we are offered a mint. High end talent is so hard to come by that if we are offered 2 or 3 of those players to go along with our already loaded minors we should at least listen.

Think about it another way. The yankees were the #1 system with 7 top 100 players and turned things around after selling last year.

Next year we have NINE guys with possible top 100 aspirations and probably 3-4 more with top 150.

Add in some top 50 talent and sign players after our new media deal in 2018 with the great free agent class… Two years we are looking stupidly good.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Even if offered 4 top 100 guys I don’t think I would pull the trigger. Martinez is becoming one of the better pitches in the bigs and he’s only 25. I wouldn’t feel comfortable trading him for anything less than at least one sure thing and two more high end guys. Even that Yankees group…Torres is the only one I would feel good about as I think Frazier won’t be that good and Mateo struggles to hit. Rutherford could be a keeper but he’s far away. Cmart is something between a 4-5 win pitcher in all likelihood and to give away 6 years of that would really require a monster haul. Even bigger than what Sale went for, IMO.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

I could be convinced is probably the best way to put it.

WAR is so much more valuable (exponentially so) at high numbers that your points are 10000% valid. One 6 WAR year might hit 100 million in relative value (not sure but it is relatively close).

One year. Not multiple.

You dont just trade that flippantly.

… But yes… I could be convinced.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.