J.D. Martinez trade thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum J.D. Martinez trade thread

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

“J.D. Martinez, RF, Tigers — The Cardinals, Dodgers, and Royals seem to be the favorites to land Martinez, an impending free agent. The Tigers would only receive a fourth-round pick as compensation if they lose him to free agency.” – Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/redsox/2017/07/15/why-these-dodgers-might-closest-thing-great-team/xM8wczBwMoa9WQ090XKSoO/story.html

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I had the impression the Cards were not looking for a rental player, but maybe that is what the market will steer them toward.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

heck no waste of time rental is not what this team needs

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Only way you trade for Martinez is if you give up next to nothing or have a back room deal with his agent on an extension. Make no sense other than listed.

bccran
    Participant

Tigers won’t do the deal for next to nothing. Backroom discussion with his agent for a sense of what extension could be agreed upon later makes a lot of sense. I don’t know how appropriate that is, though.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

I dont see the point in this. Yeah we’ve got injuries but what’s the worst that happens at this point? We play worse?

colhusker
    Participant

Free

I dont see the point in this. Yeah we’ve got injuries but what’s the worst that happens at this point? We play worse?

This is spot on. Some year we are going to get through a year without half the team (or more) being on the DL.

colhusker
    Participant

Free

Would just have deleted the second post if it were easy in the new format.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Don;t worry boys as predicted were out on Martinez.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

DangerZone
    Participant

Free

For Dawel Lugo, Sergio Alcantara and Jose King.

Not sure how those prospects compare to guys in our system, but I am glad the Cards didn’t go after J.D.

vegasjim
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Arizona takes on all remaining salary for the year ~$5M and give up there #4, #15, and a guy NR but made a top 20 in the DSL list. Not for sure how deep the dbacks system is but seems like a lot for a rental.

Wonder what Lynn could or will bring.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Prospects were MLB Pipeline’s #4, #15, and not top 30 for Arizona. That would correspond to Delvin Perez (4) and Dylan Carlson (15) for the Cards.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Lugo is their #4 prospect, Alcantara their 15th. King is nowhere to be found but fared well in the DSL last year. The Dbacks have a pretty poor system though…Lugo was a B- guy for Sickels and Alcantara a C.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well, the Dbacks system is far worse than St Louis’. It would be more like giving up Sosa, Bryce Denton and a DSL player.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

i think the low value they got for a premiere rental bodes well if we wanted to go after someone like Jay Bruce… if it doesnt cost us much of anything it might be worth snagging him… he definitely would help with lefty power..not saying i really want Jay Bruce…but since AZ didnt give up much..you have to think you’d give up even less for BRuce

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.