International signings 2021

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum International signings 2021

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

There will be no July 2nd start this year as MLB defers all international signing expense out to 2021. This was their right based on the March agreement.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Cardinals’ bonus pool is in the second tier, at just under $5.9 million. No trading allowed this time.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2020-21-mlb-international-bonus-pools/

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The delay in the signing period has put even more pressure on pre-set verbal agreements. This is an ugly situation essentially being ignored by MLB and now under Federal investigation.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Refresher: Are players over 22 subject to spending limits and thus would signing of Cuban players have to wait till January signing period?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The rule changed in 2018. Now Cubans (and all international signings) must be at least 25 with six seasons or more of experience in their home country league to be pool exempt.

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

It really is time to for an international draft. There is way too much corruption in the current system and they keep trying to place on a bandaid on the problems which does nothing to fix them.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

As BHC notes, the International Draft is years overdue.

In the meantime, the Wild, Wild West continues with little governance…

Participant

Free

Manfred is a pure joke of a commish.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Interesting international signing. 18 year old Nuñez kid who BA reports can hit 100 mph. $525k signing bonus.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Details in the link below. Just to clarify, this signing is not part of the 2021 class, which does not begin until January.

I added my spin in a members article on the front page.

Cardinals Sign 100 mph Dominican Pitcher Edwin Nuñez

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Seems like another potentially exciting prospect in a few years. That’s a very solid bonus for an 18 year old.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Edwin Nuñez needs to be placed in the Top 50, doesn’t he? He might be as good of a prospect as Hence. However, there hasn’t been nearly as much written about Nuñez as there has about Hence who who comes in at No. 19 in the most recent ranking. I have an idea where I would put him, but I think I should wait and see what else BW, and possibly others, have to say about him first. It’s hard to find out much about the kid unless somebody can tap into one of the scouts that was scouting him. First impression is that he is another high school kid to pay special attention to. We will know next to nothing for about a year from now, and won’t know much more than that for about two to three years.

Participant

Paid - Annual

100 mph fastball and perhaps more? Is this kid the next Hicks?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I am inclined to wait a bit on Nunez until we see something in person. Signing bonus alone isn’t enough. Here are some international players who in the last three years got more money than Nunez:

Carlos Soler (released), Franklin Soto, Carlos Soto, Victor Garcia…

Hopefully there will be an instructional camp later in the year.

In Nunez’ defense, Hicks did not hit 100 until he spent a couple of years in the system.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

That spring Hicks emerged, 2017, here is the crowd before he hit 100 and after word spread around the quad.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

No one said he could throw it over the plate at 100mph. I will hold my enthusiasm

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

At least there is a new potential standout international guy to watch, though as I said in the article, since he will be 19 next season, they might start him in the GCL – if he can throw strikes, that is!

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Normally today would bring news of a batch of new international signings, but instead, to save money, the current period has been extended until October 15 and after that, no overseas amateur signings will be allowed until next January. If MLB could do more than one thing at a time, they would be working on an international draft, but that has been given lip service for years now.

Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s nice to know that the owners are trying to operate with some semblance of sanity. They know they will lose money, so they’re doing everything they can to reduce their losses. It’s stupid to just throw money from anywhere at your losses. A well run organization should operate with revenue generated by itself. The players, possessed by their own arrogance and greed, missed a chance to begin an era of cooperation with the owners, and in so doing, set an example for others to follow. Who knows where that might have taken them, and the game?

Participant

Paid - Annual

The players, possessed by their own arrogance and greed, missed a chance to begin an era of cooperation with the owners, and in so doing, set an example for others to follow. Who knows where that might have taken them, and the game?

It would be very easy to switch the words “players” and “owners” in your sentence.

Participant

Paid - Annual

You might be right. But the players weren’t asking for help. The owners were, and the players called them liars.

Participant

Paid - Annual

For the 2020-21 International signing period the Cardinals are linked to Leonardo Bernal, a top catching prospect from Panama plus shortstops Elias Reynoso, Angelo Encarnacion, Yansel Guerrero and Marcelo Perez. Also outfielders Robelin Lopez, Romtrez Cabrera, and Cristian Avendano.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Thanks, Uncle D. Any info about any of these players?

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The White Sox gave Tatis $700K to sign. That year, the Cards had just a $2M cap. Seijas got $762,500 and Raffy Ozuna got $600K. The remainder went to smaller deals.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years