I vote no!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Nobody gave me the vote, but I’m gonna vote anyway:

No to the NL DH.

No to starting runners at 2nd base.

No to seven-inning doubleheader games.

No to moving the rubber.

No to making bases bigger.

No to painting the bases orange.

No to the three-batter rule.

No to limit of pickoff attempts.

No to defensive positioning restrictions (just deal with it).

Yes to computerized ball and strike calling.

And yes to banning irritating organ music in ball parks.

I must be old-fashioned huh?

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

CIF, nobody asked me to be teacher and grade your paper, but here goes. I guess I must be an old-fashioned teacher, because you did pretty well and can proudly show your grade to your family. Here are a few caveats.

On excessive pick off attempts, I’m not sure what the answer is, but I’d like to see some way to prevent teams from going ridiculously high on the number of attempts.

Yes, eliminate any irritating organ music, but not sure what you’re referring to. Some music is good. I guess this is eye of the beholder stuff.

I’m not specifically in favor of bigger bases, but would like to see injury potential reduced when two or three bodies converge toward first base.

Replacing humans with technology for ball/strike calls would be my top priority form your list.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

No NL DH.

No starting runners at 2nd base in extra innings.

No seven inning double header games.

No moving the pitcher’s mound back.

No making the bases bigger.

No three batter rule.

No to eliminating shifts. Bunt toward’s 3rd if you can.

No to the electronic strike zone.

NO, NO, AND HE~L NO TO ALL OF THE ABOVE!!!

r/Esteemed Rat

ZTR
    Participant

Free

The DH should not be a part of baseball. It removes one of the biggest decisions (and possibly series of decisions) the manager has to make.

Plus, when the pitcher doesn’t bat he never had to face the music for knocking down opposing batters.

colhusker
    Participant

Free

Agree with the no to the DH but I think it’s coming whether we purists like it or not. As long as the front office finds someone other than Carpenter to be ours, I can learn to stomach it (maybe). It does remove a lot of what a manager has to do.

No to not allowing defensive shifts. If guys like Carpenter would work at hitting the other way or hell bunting down the third base line they get more hits and teams stop shifting. It’s on the batters to adjust and not try to grip it and rip it.

The 7 inning double header thing is a joke. I am sure it is based on pitching and using arms but hell, most teams have 12 pitchers now.

The starting with a runner at second is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO little league.

Not sure what the answer is for balls and strikes, but when I coached all I asked was that it was consistent so the hitters know what to look for. I really think replay has allowed umpires to get lazy.

Just my 2 cents

Wooster
    Participant

Free

I’m with Rats – I like it the way its always been. Especially the organ musuc! Ta- da-ta- daah! Let the pitchers learn to bunt.Let wimpy hitters learn to place the ball where they aren’t. What a bunch of overpaid wussys.Baseballs so popular because it works great just the way it is now!

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree with CIF’s list but with two exceptions.

I am finally on board with the DH. If I am owner and am paying a pitcher $15M to $25M a year I don’t want him getting hit by a pitch or blowing out an achilles running down to first base. Also, starters would probably go deeper into games if they weren’t pinch hit for in the 5th inning every time, which would help the bullpen.

I am for banning the shift. In theory players should be able to go the other way but it is easier said than done. The NBA used to ban certain defenses so it wouldn’t be unprecedented for a sports league to do it.

I agree with the others on the list. I do not like the 3 batter minimum, the runner on second in extra innings, robot umps, and am fine with doing away with 7 inning DH’s too.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

“I am finally on board with the DH. If I am owner and am paying a pitcher $15M to $25M a year I don’t want him getting hit by a pitch or blowing out an achilles running down to first base.”

I should think that logic applies to any highly paid player, not just pitchers.

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

I also vote no on all the above

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I should think that logic applies to any highly paid player, not just pitchers.

Sure, but position players are paid to hit and run, not just throw the ball. Pitchers hitting adds little to nothing to the game other than the occasional interesting moment when they actually hit the ball. It could easily be argued that the lack of DH hurts the NL in interleague play as well as the World Series.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

“Sure, but position players are paid to hit and run, not just throw the ball. Pitchers hitting adds little to nothing to the game other than the occasional interesting moment when they actually hit the ball.”

Pitchers’ hitting adds enormously to the game by forcing managers to make often extremely difficult, game altering choices about pulling them, allowing them to hit, how many more hitters to face, etc., etc. They are paid to play the game of baseball.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Pitchers’ hitting adds enormously to the game by forcing managers to make often extremely difficult, game altering choices about pulling them, allowing them to hit, how many more hitters to face, etc., etc. They are paid to play the game of baseball.

So those decisions would be easier if they have to decide which pitcher faces the (now deeper) lineup, how many batters each reliever will face, etc? That’s a marginal addition at best. Then you have the automatic out factor.

I don’t see it much differently than specialization of other sports. We don’t make kickers and punters also play offense or defense in the NFL, and the game is better for it.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Pitchers’ hitting adds enormously to the game . . . . . .

We are just old fashioned NL guys. I prefer a random NL game over a random AL game.

David
    Participant

Free

The DH is used during The World Series and AL home inter league games. Thats good enough.

No starting runner at 2nd in extra innings.

Yes to eliminating shifts per individual by the old fashioned way.. learn to hit to all fields and stop trying to pull the ball every at bat.

No 3 batter rule. Unless their getting outs. Meaning if a RP comes in and gets 2 outs.. he has to pitch to the 3rd batter but if he gives up a hit or walk to the first batter, the manager can take him out… and it should never rollover to the next inning.

No to 7inn DH games

Yes to pickoff limits. No more than 5 per inning.

No to computerized strike zone.
    No safe/out challenges until after the 6th.

Mrperkins
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I vote no on most of these. I do like the idea of making the bases larger as it should increase stolen bases since there is less distance between them. This should help keep having a strong arm as a catcher relavent as well. However, I hate the robot ump idea. I love when I see a vet pitcher get a call a little off the plate and just keep working it to the spot. I’ve seen Wainwright do this a number of times as he has refound his effectiveness the last 2 years despite no longer hitting 93-94mph. I like the idea that a pitcher can still get by on wits as much as a dominant fastball or breaking pitch. My heart says No DH but I see the writing on the wall. And one other thing. I would like to see a return of the 4 pitch intentional walk. You never know when there could be a steal, wild pitch, balk, etc. And I feel like if a team refuses to pitch to a hitter, the pitcher should have to throw 4 extra times, even if they are easy pitches. And gives the home crowd a chance to really boo and let excitement build for the next batter. My 2 cents.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

As most probably know I am a pro-DH guy. The DH actually makes the manager’s job tougher, not easier. That is because the automatic pinch-hit situation is no longer there, so on-field management needs to be much more aware of how their pitcher is doing, and how to manage the bullpen.

The runner on second is a bit like the “put the ball on the 25” in college football overtime. And both are similar to the shootout in hockey after the 5 minute OT. Big time sports are trending towards settling ties quick.

Can’t say I like it, but can’t say I don’t. I would probably modify the rule to where the runner on second is not done until after 12 innings have been played.

I am no on most of the other things. The 3 batter minimum does not bother me, but if it were rescinded I am okay with that. Don’t want the mound moved back, bigger bases or any of that. Maybe a modified shift rule where the infield has to have two guys on each side of second base until the pitch is delivered.

14NyquisT
    Participant

I would like to see a return of the 4 pitch intentional walk. You never know when there could be a steal, wild pitch, balk, etc. And I feel like if a team refuses to pitch to a hitter, the pitcher should have to throw 4 extra times, even if they are easy pitches. And gives the home crowd a chance to really boo and let excitement build for the next batter.

Agree with MrP. Is this one of the ways they came up with to save time? If you want to save time…. get rid of the two umpires wearing headphones and a guy with all the wires standing around for what seems like eternity waiting for someone somewhere else to make the call. And this after waiting for a manager to decide if he will challenge the call. This totally slows down the game to a crawl. the umps probably don’t care as much to make the right call…. let the TV guy sort it out.

Ya win some calls and ya lose some calls…. umpires have a way of evening it all out…. especially on balls and strikes its part of the game of baseball. This is my two Lincolns and I’m sticking to it.

1982 willie
    Participant

I don’t like the runner on second in extras. I would be ok with it if they moved it to say the 13th inning. I’m not for the DH but if the pitchers aren’t going to at least learn how to bunt properly, maybe we need it. I’m not for banning shifts but I am all for not allowing infielders to be in outfield or the same with outfielders being in the infield. There are 9 specific positions for a reason. I don’t like the 3batter minimum but I do t really care about it. And a big hell yeah to robot umps. I wouldn’t be for it if the commissioner and the union would grade the umpires and get rid of the bad ones but they won’t do that. So the only way forward is a electronic ump with balls n strikes being known by all not just umpire. Umps that consistently make bad and inconsistent calls ruin the game more than any one facet of it.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Instead of robot umps we need to make the replay system more efficient and expand it to more plays. We can land a spacecraft on Mars but it yet it takes 10 minutes to figure out if a guy was safe or out at first base. Speed it up!

1982 willie
    Participant

There is little problem with safe out calls. In fact I think replay has ruined the game largely because of instances where guys just barely come off bag even though they clearly beat throw. In the past they would have been safe and is the way it should be. Robot umps would stop the umpires from trying to upstage the game by making rediculous strike or ball calls hence make it a much better game to watch cause players wouldn’t have to think they have to swing at everything or take the pitch and just hope the umpire is in reality at that moment.

Card4Ever
    Participant

Free

I wouldn’t mind 7 inning double headers, but only if they are like the 60’s. None of this day night crapola. Won’t happen as it gets in the way of revenue for the owners.

Hate the DH.

I don’t like the shift and really think the whole launch angle stuff etc. is making the game nearly unwatchable. Can you imagine what coaches/analytic people would do with hit it where they ain’t guys like Ichiro and Carew? (Edit for clarification: Coaches would be trying to change them from a young age to lift they ball, etc.)

Also, pretty much no to everything else. Maybe balls and strikes for consistencies sake, cause a few of these guys are BEYOND bad.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t like the shift and really think the whole launch angle stuff etc. is making the game nearly unwatchable

I think that hitter development focuses on defining a players optimum swing, or optimized swing. From there it goes to perfecting repeatability of that swing. A good example of that is O’Neill. No matter the situation, his swing is the same. Utter inability to adjust his approach based upon the situation and what most needs to happen in the PA. No chance to adjust so as to increase chance of getting on base, or advancing a runner, or just putting it in play with two strikes. Its the optimized swing every time. the true outcomes trend is the result. It is why the shift has become a successful tool. Hitters have little chance of hitting it anywhere besides where their optimized swing makes it go. The DH gives you another optimum swing to try to hit homers.

I wonder how many hits a Pete Rose would have ended up with if he had come along today. Or an Ozzie Smith for that matter.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.