Hicks Has Torn UCL

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Hicks Has Torn UCL

Viewing 18 posts - 26 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Free

that was a heck of a triceps strain he had huh

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Hicks is throwing off a mound. Two 20-pitch sessions.

View this post on Instagram

Go At Your Pace👣

A post shared by Jordan Hicks (@hicks12) on

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Before the tape was rolling, DannyMac and I had a talk about this the other day. I said that if Hicks can throw strikes (which should not be assumed), he would be my choice as closer day one. Thanks to the delay to open the season, no one else has stepped up to take the job, though it could be shared just because of the compressed schedule.

Dan thinks the Cards will be cautious with Hicks as they were the year Matt Morris came back from TJS and they put him in the pen. I countered with Adam Wainwright, who returned 12 months after TJS, threw a full spring workload and added almost 200 innings in 32 starts over the 2012 regular season, winning 14 games. My take is that if Waino could do it at 30, why can’t Hicks at 23?

Of course, we will see soon enough…

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

It could be both with Hicks. He could be closer 1A, but with a lower appearance rate. It will have to be that way anyway since there will not be as much ST prep time and a more compressed schedule and/or doubleheaders. Depth matters for sure.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yes, there could be more dual closers across the game this season. I was thinking about that the other day for Milwaukee, for example, with Knebel back to join Hader. Their starters are still unsettled, but if Knebel is ok, they will have a very nice back end of the pen.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Of course, we will see soon enough…

We will? Do you mean baseball is about to return? If not, how are we going to see? You got some inside scoop, Mr. Walton?

r/Esteemed Rat <~~~~who had neighbors with the last name Walton growing up. One of them was a hot cheerleader too.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Sorry, no inside info. Trying to be optimistic for a bit. Making me a bit uncomfortable, though, to be honest. 😉

Participant

Paid - Annual

Hicks might be the best option for closer, but Gallegos, Reyes, Hensley, and Cabrera are not far behind. Then, there’s Junior Fernandez who, I think, sees himself as a closer with Whitley not to be ignored. I’ve never seen a major league roster with so many highly talented, promising pitchers. Our FO really needs to trade some of these pitchers for an equally promising bat or bats before they’re forced to give them away to create roster space.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I will never be a fan of Hicks as a closer, unless he is coached to back off a bit and not just reel back and fire. He could be an elite starter of the Verlander type if he learns to pace himself a little. But of course any success he has will depend on throwing strikes.

Whatever course his career takes, it would be good to have him available.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hudson would probably like for someone else to lead the NL in BB’s!

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Has anybody decided whats going to happen with Carlos Martinez? Is he going into the rotation? Or is he a possible closer?

Either way, both Martinez and Hicks worry me in the 9th inning due to all of their walks. As my old buddy that has passed away that was a huge Reds fan used to say……”Them sh~tina$$ walks just gripe me!”

r/Esteemed Rat

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

bicyclemike, starters need to be efficient pitchers and they need to have enough pitch variety to alter their approach as the batting order recycles. Many people felt that’s why Rosenthal didn’t profile as starter. How likely do you think Hicks profiles as a starter in that regard? Of course, if a pitcher is not given a real chance, then self fulfilling prophecy takes hold and he’ll never demonstrate those qualities.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Rat, I’d like to see Martinez start. He seems like a rhythm guy to me. He can range from very good to shaky. Over 6 innings, he’ll usually have a rough spot or two, but will give 4 or 5 good innings. That’s what you need out of a starter — 6 innings or so and not giving up a ton of runs to keep you in it. The one or two rough patches don’t kill you and pitching more innings usually allows him to settle into his good rhythm.

As a closer, you can’t make up for a rough patch. Not sure, but those seem to me to happen more in high leverage situations for him.

Participant

Paid - Annual

With Hicks on the mend it seems obvious that CMart will be in the rotation, which is where he should be. I think that was the plan in spring training before it was cut short.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Another thing about CMart is that he has to grow up one of these days, doesn’t he? I mean he really has to grow up. It happens to everybody eventually, doesn’t it? CMart has to grow up. He has to. It’s going to happen. CMart is going to grow up. I’m sure of it. CMart will become an adult. He has to.

And with that CMart will become the pitcher most people always thought he would be.

Participant

Paid - Annual

There will always be some peter pans around. JMart was a good example but his youthful enthusiasm wasn’t detrimental to himself and only slightly to the team. I appreciated his mojo. He won’t change in the near future.

CMart’s actions usually hurts just him… although some of his antics are over the line and disruptive to the clubhouse psyche. CM’s problem may not merely be a case of immaturity but something more leaning towards being a hot head. He doesn’t seem to be growing out of that.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Mark Saxon is more cautionary about Hicks’ return than I have seen from others.

“…It sounds like Opening Day is highly unlikely, but some time in August seems like a reasonable expectation, perhaps even on the early side…”

https://theathletic.com/1830328/2020/05/22/live-qa-with-cardinals-reporter-mark-saxon/

Viewing 18 posts - 26 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years