Happy New Year.

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Happy New Year.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Happy New Year everyone. I’ve never had so much desire to change the calendar. It goes without saying that 2020 has been a trying year filled with anxiety, disappointment and for some terrible suffering. But let’s look ahead with many more feelings of hope and well being that this cursed #`*!^ will be behind us soon. My best wishes to all… please stay safe and healthy. And be happy…. ’21 just has to be a better year. Three more months and we will be having opening day. Regards to all.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Hear, hear!

Participant

Free

Happy 2021, 14! All the best in the coming year.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Happy New Year!

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Happy New Year to all at TCN! May we remember those we’ve lost with fondness (thinking of MM3), love without regret and root on our Cards to championships in 2021! Rooting for a happy and healthy year for everyone, team and Cardinal Nation.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Happy New Year to everyone!

Here is to the successful implementation of covid vaccines, fans back in the stands, the Cards headed back to the playoffs, and a new CBA agreement before the end of the year. (Hey we can hope!)

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Happy New Year everyone. 2021 brings hope for a better year.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Happy New Year to you all here at The Cardinal Nation…….. arguably, the best collective baseball minds west of the great Mississippi. It was a tough year. Losing MM3, Gibby and Lou was indeed pretty tough to take. Then right before the calendar was poised to flip to 2021, we lose another childhood favorite in the lovely Dawn Wells. Unfortunately, we are at that point in time where our boyhood stars are going to be passing away at a swift rate now. I knew this dreaded era would one day arrive for we sports fans whom grew up in the 60’s and 70’s…..and now it’s here. It’s not only the loss of our heroes that stings, but it’s also the somber realization that our generation is the next batter up.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Here’s wishing all of my friends here at TCN, and Pugs even, a healthy and happy New Year!!! 🙂

I hope we can all sit in the stands at some point in this coming year and watch a sporting event, be it Rat at his local high school football game, on up the ladder to being there as the Cardinals put one over on the Cubs in Busch.

I had plans last year to attend the HOF ceremonies where Ted Simmons and Larry Walker would be inducted, and some guy named Jeter that I really did not care about, then head to Atlantic City for the National Sports Collectors Convention the following week. But alas, that never happened.

Hopefully we can enjoy doing things again, and seeing each other without a disguise.

Best to all!! Let’s dedicate this season to Lou and Gibby, and don’t forget Lindy McDaniel and the others who wore the Cardinal uniform and are no longer around to tell about it, along with MM3.

Oh, and good call on Dawn Wells, Pugs. The dream girl next door for a lot of us kids who were just coming of age in the late ‘60s.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Hope your NSCC ( that’s “National Sports Collectors Convention” to the layman ) trip comes to fruition this year, BicycleMike. Knowing you, they will have to drag you out of there at the end of the show. Yes, Dawn Wells easily cracks my Childhood Top 15 Favorite Person List:

1. Bob Gibson
    2. Lou Brock
    3. Ted Simmons
    4. Harry Caray
    5. Curt Gowdy
    6. Eddie Doucette
    7. Jon McGlocklin
    8. Mad Dog Vachon
    9. Dawn Wells
    10.Connie Hines
    11.Pete Franklin
    12.Pat Priest
    13.Barbara Eden
    14.Linda Evans
    15.Henry Kissinger

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

That’s quite the eclectic list there, Pugs. You did have an eye for the ladies at a tender age. I always thought Wilbur Post married way over his class with the lovely Connie Hines as his wife.

Pat Priest was in an Elvis movie, in addition to how we all know her as Marilyn Munster.

Jon McGloklin. Man, have not thought of him for years. Solid player for the Bucks in the early days of the franchise.

I saw that Paul Westphal passed away. You probably remember him from your days in the Valley of the Sun. Not on your list as he came along in the ‘70s, but the McGloklin thing got me to thinking about Westphal.

Lastly, I will say it again for the umpteenth time on here – Harry Caray belongs in the Cardinals Hall of Fame. It’s a no-brainer really, similar to Keith Hernandez. Both should have been in years ago.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Cardinals Hall of Fame is getting imbalanced, IMO. Two Modern Era players per year should be dialed back to one. Several years ago, the DeWitts stopped making ownership selections. That is the only way for former owners, executives, broadcasters, players, coaches and scouts to get in. They seem more attuned to recognize those remembered most by current fans. Using that criteria, Dave Duncan would probably be first on my list.

Oh, yeah. Happy New Year!

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I agree that we have just about tapped out the modern era players, and should dial it back to one. Eventually a new crop will come around, Pujols, Molina, Waiwright. But for now Hernandez is the one glaring omission, then maybe Lee Smith.

I see more older era players and personnel deserving to be included than latter day guys.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years