Girsch lined up to take the fall?

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Girsch lined up to take the fall?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Today, I have seen two items that serve as potential evidence that the Cardinals GM might be the one to take the fall if the season ends without another playoff berth.

One is indirect. Derrick Goold wrote about several major changes in the analytics department (aka Baseball Development), including Mo getting much more involved personally in “modernizing” the area. Girsch is notable in that he was not mentioned in relation to the new efforts, despite Baseball Development having been under his responsibilities. Probably not a good sign when your boss steps in to direct one of your departments.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/birdland/analytics-overhaul-for-cardinals-as-they-reboot-how-they-collect/article_2e1ec1a7-4cd9-5593-8a83-66d1a8667c5d.html

The other is direct. In his new Q&A, Mark Saxon mentions twice that he believes Girsch’s job security is under threat.

https://theathletic.com/1085682/2019/07/19/cardinals-mailbag-fixing-the-teams-power-outage-monitoring-the-front-office-deciphering-nicknames-and-more/

Participant

Paid - Annual

A key question to me is whether Mo has even given up the GM responsibilities since Girsch was appointed.

If we miss the playoffs again a temporizing move would be to can both Girsch and Shildt.

Participant

Free

So then Mo will throw everybody else under the bus rather than admit that he is the problem…great…

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

You expect him to commit harakiri instead?

Participant

Free

No, just that I don’t think that he’ll admit that he’s the problem but just blame everyone else…

Participant

Free

So the puppet master who everyone knows that’s pulling the strings will be allowed by Dewitt’s to survive this?

Hey maybe by some miracle we do make the playoffs and everyone is give a stay of execution. Far as I’m concerned they can all have their jobs if they do that.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

That Mo is one slick teflon don. Those around him seem to have untimely falls from power. Are we sure his real name isn’t Mozeleone?

Participant

Paid - Annual

If these reports are true that would stink. If Girsch goes then Mo should go with him.

Girsch is the only one of the bunch that will give a candid answer. Maybe that is why he is in trouble.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Since this topic was started by our keymaster we should sit up and take note. Right now I believe that the Cards can still win this division. A play-off spot and then one and done or anything less could mean some shuffling upstairs.

Girsch was hired to be the GM figure but with Mozeliak really doing that job. So who hired Girsch? Who would take the GM spot if Girsch is a scapegoat fully knowing what is involved and not involved and also what consequences lie ahead if the team and/or Mozeliak continues down the dark and gloomy road?

If DeWitt doesn’t notice how far the system has fallen that is too bad for the fans because things are not getting better. A new GM candidate would know what lies ahead for him.

That is why I believe that any DeWitt advisers not named Mozeliak would recommend its Girsch AND Mo need to go if the Cards come up empty again in ’19. Bring in a new regime that can fix the entire organization. It might take time but a different perspective and some fresh air upstairs is beyond due. What we need is a take charge GM with a better sense of talent and compensation.

Card fans are angry, annoyed, disappointed and ready for a change of direction. Anything less than a division crown should bring this about. No October games…. no more Mozeliak.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

If the club falters and the numbers are similar at seasons’s end the real blame falls on Goldschmidt, Carpenter, and Mikolas, with Bader in the mix as well. But it is unrealistic to fire players.

Mo & Company would not be immune of course, as they should have known better than to bring on Dexter at the contract they gave him, and to give money away that was unnecessary by extending Carpenter and signing Greg Holland. The Carpenter extension is somewhat understandable, since he came on great last year and the club likes to take care of their own. But sometimes being a nice guy can burn you.

As a general rule, management needs to be a little more patient with the younger players, and a little less generous with the older ones. Don’t be so anxious to deal a productive player because he does not fit a certain image (Pham), and do not be so committed to older guys that you are giving them a lot of money for declining production.

Participant

Free

Who would want the job under the current circumstances? In fact, who needs a GM AND a king of baseball operations anyway?

Participant

Paid - Annual

More random thoughts on this topic:

1. If there is indeed pressure on parts of the front office will that increase the likelihood of big moves during the next 11 days?

2. Having said that it isn’t a good look if the dysfunction of the front office is now spilling out into the mainstream media for the public to see. It could become a toxic work environment.

3. It is statistically impossible for the front office to please everyone. That isn’t their job. Their job is to build a playoff team each year (and finish higher than the Cubs).

4. I say this only partially in jest, but what kind of dirt does Mozeliak have on the DeWitt’s? I mean really.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by Avatargscottar.
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Random replies.

1. No. One part of the front office does not make trades without the rest of the front office and ownership approval. No “roguish behavior” allowed!

2. If there is any “dysfunction” here, it would pale in comparison to the Jocketty-Luhnow years and they won a World Series in the middle of that (and later won another with Mozeliak as GM).

3. Agreed. Didn’t see anyone suggest otherwise, though. (P.S. It might be interesting to apply this to the fan base. My guess is that a majority of fans – especially the ones buying season tickets – are not in favor of firing Mozeliak.)

4. These people at the top of the pyramid work very closely together. They are in a far more informed place to assess their working relationships than we are.

Participant

Free

If Mo can get away with firing Girsch for this team’s lack of success then he’s a genius.

Imagine if Terry Fator’s show at the Mirage was bombing, and he was able to keep his show there simply by firing his puppets and using new ones.

Participant

Paid - Annual

3. Agreed. Didn’t see anyone suggest otherwise, though. (P.S. It might be interesting to apply this to the fan base. My guess is that a majority of fans – especially the ones buying season tickets – are not in favor of firing Mozeliak.)

You had mentioned in a different thread a day or two ago that no matter what the front office does someone will be unhappy. I was just stating that pleasing all of the thousands or millions of Cardinal fans is not statistically possible, therefore not the job of the front office. If they build a team worthy of the playoffs and better than the Cubs then a majority of the fans will be pleased.

I am curious about your hypothesis concerning the majority of season ticket holders and Mozeliak. While the season ticket holders might have a more measured tone than the folks in the bleachers I can’t imagine the season ticket holders are happy either, thus the increased number of no shows.

Participant

Paid - Annual

If I am not mistaken the contracts for Mo, Girsch, and Shildt all expire at the end of next season. Not a lot of security for any of the three really.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years