Get Rid of Reyes

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Get Rid of Reyes

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Ineedsomerelief
    Participant

Free

Can we start a get rid of Reyes campaign? I don’t know about 27 saves. All I see are blown saves and walks. The guy cannot perform under pressure and needs to go!

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Change your thread title to Get Rid of Shildt

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Reyes has the best save conversion percentage in the NL of all the relievers still in the league. Only Kimbrel had a better percentage. 27 saves in 29 opportunities.

Sure, Reyes has 6 losses and has been shaky lately but he is still one of the best relievers out there. To get rid of him is crazy.

bccran
    Participant

Reyes in 2021 –

IP – 54 2/3
    Hits – 31
    Ks – 68
    ERA – 2.47

1st season in the closer’s role. And you want to get rid of him? The answer may be to give him a little more rest between appearances at this stage of the season. His only issue is that he’s walked too many people. But most of the time he’s gotten out of it. He’s extremely talented.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

relief said:

I don’t know about 27 saves. All I see are blown saves and walks.

I bet you did not know that Reyes has just two blown saves all season. His save conversion rate of 93.1% (taking into account losses and blown saves alike) is second highest in the entire National League.

Of all the things wrong with the Cardinals, the closer should be way down the page.

A bad night and people overreact. It is as sure as the sun rising in the east…

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I dont think it’s over-reacting when Reyes has walked 42 batters in 55 innings. That is horribly pathetic. As I’ve said many times, he is an accident waiting to happen. We are lucky – VERY LUCKY – he hasnt blown a bunch more saves.

r/Esteemed Rat

bccran
    Participant

When he gets into trouble with walks, he Ks people and gets out of it. Can you imagine how even better he’ll be if he gains more control?

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Let’s take a step back for a second and consider the following:

1. Experience – Reyes was one of the top prospects in the Redbirds system before being beset with injuries. This is the first full season he will complete in three or four years.
    2. Control Issues – he is not the only Cardinal pitcher experiencing control issues. There has to be more to the story here. The Front Office and Coaching Staff need to take a step back and ask themselves if they are missing something or doing something fundamentally wrong in their approach.
    3. Stats – Reyes’ overall stats are good. The exceptions are walks and wild pitches. This is an area that he and the coaching staff need to work on.

I see Reyes as a valuable asset with room for improvement. The question is whether the Cardinals have the right mix of resources to assist in this improvement effort.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

A much larger worry about Reyes is his durability. His performance this year, apart from the odd blip, has been excellent. The question is, can he stay healthy.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Odd blip?????

I dont think 42 walks in 55 innings can be considered a blip. More like an atomic blast.

CIF?
    What’s for din-din today?

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

We’ve all got our blips, man. I guess it depends what you stack them up against.

We went Asian for din-din this evening – chicken cashews with rice. I’m at the moment munching on a Magnum double chocolate bar dessert.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

wow talk about no clue….

get rid of Reyes…come on have a clue about baseball before posting crazy ideas.

grayssportsalmanac
    Participant

Free

Sometimes i think some of these threads are started because someone is bored and 100% purely trolling. It’s probably a defense mechanism to keep my faith in humanity 🤦‍♂️

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t know why Shildt doesn’t use the guy that can get the good teams out.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Reyes can get the good teams out. However, Shildt does need to figure out that he shouldn’t just automatically pick a reliever based on the inning. He should know how a reliever is pitching at that time and how much he has used the relievers recently. Go a little more on matchups.

bccran
    Participant

Whitey and Tony never went with matchups in the 9th inning of a close game. They had their closer, period. Whether it was Sutter, Smith, Eck, Izzy, etc. That’s the way most managers are.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Just because they did it, doesn’t always make it right. Their relievers also blew saves and lost games.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Here are some saves rates for some of the past great relievers:

Mariano Rivera (89% lifetime) – 6 of 19 seasons 90% or above save percentage
    Trevor Hoffman (89%) – 8 of 18 seasons 90 % or above
    Lee Smith (82%) – 2 of 18 season 90% or above
    Francisco Rodriguez (85%) – 7 of 15 seasons 90% or above
    John Franco (81%) – 3 of 21 seasons 90% or above
    Dennis Eckersley (85%) – 2 of 13 seasons 90% or above
    Craig Kimbrel (90%) – 7 of 12 seasons 90% or above
    Bruce Sutter (75%) – 0 of 12 seasons 90% or above (highest 85%)
    Aroldis Chapman (89%) – 5 of 12 seasons 90% or above

That’s the top 5 relievers on lifetime saves list plus a few others.

Alex Reyes (94%) – 93% save percentage in 2021.

bccran
    Participant

So you’re saying Reyes is one heck of a closer in 2021?

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Saves, blown saves, and holds are pretty goofy stats that I don’t ever trust as stand alone measures.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

I’m guessing Reyes saves % are over the whole season. Wonder what it is lately, say over the last 2 months. Bet its alot lower. Sadly in sports you’re only as good as your last win. The dog when you don’t win. Hes young and strong but sonetimes wild.Gotta blame coaching for leaving him in when hes going haywire.Theres other pitchers in the pen.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

The problem started when Shildt took Cabrera out after just 7 pitches. Why not let him go out for the 2nd inning?

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

No Reyes, we win. Hmmm.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

No Yadi, we win. Hmmm

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years