Gallegos gets two-year deal from Cards

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Gallegos gets two-year deal from Cards

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Covering 2023 and 2024 with 2025 team option. Covers his arb years and possibly one more. Terms not yet available.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Gallegos gets a $500,000 signing bonus and salaries of $4.5 million next year and $5.5 million in 2024. St. Louis has a $6.5 million team option for 2025 with a $500,000 buyout.

His 2025 option price can increase by up to $3.5 million for games finished in 2024: $500,000 each for 20-25 and 26-30 and 31-35, and $1 million apiece for 36-40 and 41 or more.

He would get $250,000 for winning the Rivera/Hoffman Reliever of the Year award, $50,000 for All-Star selection and World Series MVP and $25,000 for League Championship Series MVP.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

I had 5,7,9mil so very fair for both parties imo.

Cdj3715
    Participant

Free

I sure hope dejong isn’t on the post season roster, his hitting is abysmal at best

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

After Monday’s outing Mo probably regrets it already.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

One thing that can be said about Gallegos is that he shows up for every outing and gives it his best shot. I get nervous every time he gets into a game, but the great majority of the time, he does what he’s supposed to do. All in all, it looks like a fair deal. The Cardinals get an experienced, and more often than not, effective reliever for a reasonable price, and a really nice guy like Giovanny Gallegos gets to be a multimillionaire.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Yep, Gio seems to make everybody nervous. Wonder what impact the clock will have on him, beyond making him pick up the pace? Good point by mud about his availability. I haven’t checked any stats, but it has seemed like he’d become much steadier over the last few weeks to the point I was not getting so nervous — not counting last night.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I don’t have a lot of confidence when Gio comes in either, but then he usually gets the job done. Plus that is the life of a late inning pitcher – the game is usually tight, so any mistake is magnified.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I like Gallegos as a setup guy. I do not like him as a closer. No spreadsheet will ever convince me that the final three outs are the same as the others.

BrockLou
    Participant

Free

He is more of a 7th inning guy, not 8th or 9th.
    If that is what 7th inning guys are worth, then I don’t fault the signing

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years